Tuesday, September 11, 2012

JCrew New Arrivals: Jules Dress in Italian Paisley

I am going to post quickly the pics of the Jules dress in Italian paisley, that is one of the new arrivals that will probably be available online this Thursday.
This dress caught my attention a while ago when it was hidden under the stadium-cloth mod coat in this website pic:


It was clear to me already that it was a Jules silhouette but when I spied it yesterday on a manniquin of my local store it looked way too short:


I went in and I was swooned by the print, which is even more beautiful IRL. I tried my regular 0 and if fits perfectly, as far as Jules go. I must be much shorter than the manniquen because, while still on the short side, it isn't obscene on me. In fact I think the proportions are perfect:


It is one of those Jules with the front pockets, which I prefer to the side pockets.
The dress is 100% silk twill, partially lined in poly. I took a pic of the reverse to show you the construction:


It is pricey for a Jules ($228) but it is a must have for me. My new definition of must-have is "something that you won't mind seeing on the sale rack for a third of the price while you splurged on it", even if I think that this one will sell well. As I said the pattern is even more striking IRL as the aqua that runs through is more vivid than in these pics. I know that many of you have reached "Jules saturation" but as a matter of fact I don't own any Jules and I am glad that I waited. This print has a timeless vibe to it and I can't wait to wear it this Fall (it will look good dressup with Juliets or dressed down with boots and a sweater-coat).

What do you think of the new Jules in Italian paisley? I have more new arrivals pics coming up, stay tuned!

34 comments:

  1. Hate the Jules in general, because it is ill fitting and WAY too short for anyone who is not petite. However, it looks fab on you, and I absolutely love the print. I just bought the san remo print dress (another beautiful print) from a fellow JCA and will console myself with it for now, as the Jules just won't ever work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the length. It is the opposite for me: the Jules works not only because I am petite but because I prefer a shift to a A-line dress. I just bought the python-print dress from the SP 08 Collection on the JCA and it looks aweful on me. So I am happy that they made this silhouette in a beautiful old JCrew print.

      Delete
  2. This dress is the one thing I truly love and there is no way it will work for me, at 5'7" there is no chance, it will barely cover my butt in all likelihood.
    But the good news is I can live vicariously through you because it is beautiful on you and the perfect length. My sister is very petite (4'10") and the Jules really works for her as well, I have to tell her to go and buy this dress!
    Welcome back from your holiday we missed you! I read your previous post and I had to laugh about the stripes. And note taken about the Eiffel Tower, I'll be there in 3 weeks and I've promised my daughters we can go, but yes I will want that champagne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this dress! dani - I just found a nougat London knit dress that is heather brown with an entire front panel that is the same silk (or pretty darn close!) Thayer might work for you...

      Delete
    2. Yes, I can see how it would be too short on you Dani. Maybe they will make a blouse in this print, who knows.
      I wish I had known about the bar a champagne, I hope you can enjoy one glass while you are up there!

      Delete
  3. The Jules is not my friend-but it looks GREAT on you! The print is stunning. I hope you enjoy this dress for many seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JulieStyles. Yes I hope that this one will have a long closet life and that it won't suddenly look too short to my own eyes (it actually happened to my Elena dress, I feel it is too short now and I am mad at myself)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely print and quite familiar. It is the Terra Paisley in a different colorway.

      The dress looks lovely on you Ema.

      Delete
    2. Interesting... I actually had the occasion to buy the Terra paisley from a friend not long ago but I was afraid that I wouldn't wear it because of the sleeveless style.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back Ema, you were missed. Cannot wait to read about your European adventures, I loved your notes from the last post.
    I saw this dress and the print is beautiful but I knew it will be too short on me. I agree the proportions are perfect on you!
    xoxo thanks, I knew the print looked familiar. Now, I am not going to complain since I already have the Terra Paisley dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitively too short for you even if you have the legs for it ;-).
      I don't own any paisley dress so it doesn't feel a repeat or redundant to me.

      Delete
  6. Hi Ema,welcome back.
    Thank you for the recommendation about the seravalle scrivio outlets.We went and loved it.I bought lots of petit bateau for my girls and some nice things from the bialetti store.
    I thought of you when we were in alassio(for a afternoon):).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ina, I am glad you enjoyed the outlet. I had a great time in Alassio and I even scored a Prada dress for 50 EU!

      Delete
  7. It's a gorgeous print, but am just sad that it's the short Jules. I could perhaps wear it as a tunic though, so will still try that out. It looks really lovely on you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is worth a try, the print really is beautiful...

      Delete
  8. I love it on you. The print is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Ema! The dress is perfect on you - I agree, it's a 'must-have' for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! It helped that I could get it with the VPS discount but I would have bought it even without the discount I think

      Delete
  10. Ema, I love the dress, it's fabulous on you! I'd like your thoughts, if it were shortened, would it make a good top? If I were to do this, I'd hopefully wait for a good markdown. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on your torso length I think because of the pocket placement. you have to cut along tbe seam that runs there. It ilooks like it is actually made of two pieces of fabric sewn together so it should be easy to do. I can't believe that they matched the pattern at the seams by the way!

      Delete
  11. Ema, how gorgeous on you. I agree it is a beautiful piece to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Slastena! Let me know if you get it.

      Delete
  12. Love it, love it, love it. Tout simplement ravissante!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of three pieces I am interested in. Yay for silk and paisley! Total must have for me too...thanks for the review! Super cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw this yesterday. The colors are beautiful. It's even prettier on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi. I typically look good in these colors especially when I have a tan. Too bad is going to go away soon...

      Delete
  15. Love the print but it won't work for me at 5.8 :(. So pretty....ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ This, exactly.

      Welcome back, Ema! The dress looks perfect on you :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you Whitney. I don't know why they don't offer it in Tall, really!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dress on you beautiful! I just ordered it and I am hoping it will work on me since I am only 5'3 and fond of shorter dresses

    ReplyDelete