Monday, July 12, 2010

My Weekends with Max and Molly

I recently bought the Max and Molly tee, the one with the bicycle and the doggies. The funny thing about this tee is that I almost ordered it when it was FP during one of the % off tees promotion but at the last minute I "noticed" the doggies in the basket. I really liked the bicycle graphism but I was turned off by the doggies. I don't have anything against dogs but I find that wearing cute, little doggies on your tee is little bit age-inappropriate if you are around or over 40.

Actually I should say doggy (singular) because I didn't notice that there were not one but TWO doggies in the basket until a few days ago, when I had already bought it and worn it a couples of times and I was wondering why on earth they had called this tee "Max and Molly" (because that's the kind of philosophical question that occupies my mind more often than not these days.) Who the heck were Max and Molly? Only then I noticed Max. OR Molly. I mean BOTH.
The reason why I ultimately bought the tee, in spite of the doggies, is that I wear my Imperial tee from last year so much that I needed a backup tee (why, oh why, the cutest tees have to be hand-wash only?) This tee is in the same lightweight cotton than the Imperial one (that I find very pleasant to wear in the summer) and has the same flattering fit, so it fitted the bill.
Plus, I can get away with sporting a pair of doggies on my boobs because I have a three-year-old and people find that cute (that's the reward for all that poop-wiping: you get to wear age-inappropriate clothes and people smile at you).

I find this tee to be quite versatile after all. I worn it twice during the 4th of July weekend in two very different situations. The first time I wore it with cocktail chinos to go to the movies (you can call this the "dress-up" version):



On the 4th we didn't do anything extraordinary, we just hung out in the park all day. I loved the atmosphere of an almost deserted NYC (I don't remember the city to be THAT empty last year: maybe due to the economic crisis more people were vacationing at home than this year). I wore the Max and Molly tee again and left without taking a picture of my outfit (which involved Birkenstones, yikes!) but I want to share a couple of pics that we took in the park (I really like the ability of this camera to capture the moment). If I were a famous photograph I would call this picture "Lazy afternoon in Central Park":



And the light on this one reminds me of Monet's "Dejeuner sur l'herbe":



I wore the tee again yesterday (and yes, I have hand-washed in-between, in case you were wondering). We had brunch and later I went for a "gelato" with my daughter, while my husband took my MIL at the airport (bye-bye free babysitting). This outfit leverages on the "South of France" vibe that this tee gives me (I can see myself wandering in the streets of a tiny French village with a baguette in one hand and a straw bag full of fresh fruits and vegetables in the other one):




Do you have this tee? If not, is it because of the age-inappropriateness of the doggies? Do you feel a South of France vibe coming off it? Please share!

10 comments:

  1. I have this tee and have not yet worn it. I will soon, though. You've given me some great ideas on how to style it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this tee early on during one of the tee promos. I didn't think I'd get as much wear out of it as I have already...it has surprisingly been one of my most-worn tees this summer. Maybe it's because it's so lightweight and the heat has made light dressing so necessary! I really like this tee...so cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The light is exact to the painting, which is a favorite of both of us! Beautiful picture!
    I really like the tee and yes I can see you wandering the South of France in it, especially with the yellow skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a dog fan, so I wasn't particularly interested in this tee, but I absolutely love it paired with the yellow skirt in the last few photos! South of France vibe indeed - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this tee and love it. Such a cute graphic and I really like the fit and feel. Unfortunately, mine got a teeny tiny hole in the back after one washing (I accidentally put in the dryer). Otherwise it survived the dryer and looks great though so I can still wear with cardis. I like how you put it with the yellow skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this tee but I admit, I held off on this one becasue of the dogs and the fact the the color was on the side so I was afraid if I wore a cardigan it would cover my favorite part up.

    Looking at how you paired it with the yellow skirt...I am regretting my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this with your yellow skirt and don't think it's age inappropriate at all - you wear it well. It's fun and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this tee and love it. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont have this tee.i didnt buy it because i have the imperial tee and dont wear it often enaugh to justify buy this one.
    looks great with the yellow skirt.
    what hat are you wearing in the picture on the blanket?
    is it jcrew?
    i was thinking of buying the straw hat,but it look so large online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep fighting the age/graphic tee thing as well, and dont care, lets wear them. Hopint JC does more for the Fall


    It was hot in the park on the 4th!


    my daughter and I went to the Met to see the American Woman exhibit and decided to walk across to the west side instead of talking the bus we regretted it!

    ReplyDelete