Sorry, lame title but I couldn't help it. You have probably caught my hint to the Rowboat dress. Apparently this dress is quite popular and sold out already in many B&Ms. I must admit that the first time that I saw it in store I thought nothing of it. No, actually I thought "Oh no, stripes, again!". Because let's be honest, at this point only zebras can carry stripes around and not be pointed at as fashion victims or feel overstriped.
But this one is different and I can understand why it is selling out. It is very simple and very Parisian chic, at least in the faded black colorway (which is actually more charcoal IRL). The wide stripes in this case won't make you feel like you stole the fabric from a beach chair (thanks to Tabitha for the hilarious comment to my post on the Maritime dress!). I actually had a very hard time to choose between the XS and XXS. I really liked the longer length in the XS but it was a little bit shapeless overall so in the end I got the XXS. There was quite a difference in length between the two sizes, you can call for measurements but the XXS was considerably shorter (although I have recently learned from a post on the JCA that I must be fairly long-legged for a petite, especially in the tighs, so it could actually look longer on some of you).
I didn't really "styled" it for the pictures, I think it is best worn like this, it is a throw-on-and-go kind of dress. I just wore it with my version of espadrilles, the fantastic Kelly Rib in natural by Stubbs and Wooton, which are simply the best espadrilles that you can buy (and they come in gingham this year!):
Even if the description doesn't mention it and the fabric tag says "100% cotton", the trim around the sleeves and at the neckline is silk (like a crepe de Chine). It is a nice detail but that could be tricky if you have perspiration problems, just something to take into consideration. However, it is machine washable (cold water, gentle cycle) so better than if it were dry-clean only (in that case I wouldn't have bought it).
I tried to belt it as someone suggested but there isn't enough fabric IMO:
It can be dressed up a bit with a jacket, in this case an old DVF bolero is exactly the same cream-y color of the lighter stripes:
I hope that these pics help if you are considering this dress.
I will be back for sure before Memorial Day. My husband is leaving for a business trip on Saturday night (literally, at 3 am) and I am left to spend Memorial day alone in the city with my daughter (long story). This is going to be be the worst Memorial Day ever. I can't believe last year I was here. Sigh!




It looks great!! I have that dress on hold at my store and I also just ordered it in the other color - blue/white - online. I need to make a decision about what color to get.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this review Ema. Very cute dress on you and I agree that it's not a trendy-looking stripe, it's almost like a rugby stripe that is timeless prep IMO. Just talking about the pattern, the cut of the dress is more sophisticated than preppy. I ordered this in the blue colorway but it just shipped so I will have to wait but it is raining and cold for the next few days anyway. Hope your weekend is better than you expect. :^)
ReplyDeleteI literally passed by this on line but as soon as I saw it in the store, I had to have it. It is a really great little dress, just the right amount of casual and dressy. :)
ReplyDeleteI was between the small and medium (my hips, lucky pear-shaped me) and I went with the small because it just fit better, even if it was a bit more snug at the hip area. The fabric is of the stretchy type, so it is fine. The medium kind of was too sloppy, even though, like you, I preferred the length.
Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the review. I've been considering this dress. I wasn't sure if I should order the xs or xxs. You've answered that question.
ReplyDeleteI really like how it looks with the cropped jacket.
I'm not doing anything special this holiday either, so I'm looking forward to your reviews. I always enjoy reading them.
I agree, this was a must-have IRL. My store only had mediums and larges left, so I ordered an xs. Based on your photos that was probably right for me - I think it looks best a little fitted and not too shapeless. Sorry about your Memorial Day, but at least you have a darling new dress!
ReplyDeleteoh, thanks for the review!!! i have been waiting for one---i almost ordered this dress w/ the last free shipping promo, but wanted to see some reviews first...:) I LOVE IT!! Perfect color, perfect shape, love it belted (never thought of doing that, thanks!!) and love it with the little jacket:) You did keep this, right???!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove it!!!!! THanks!!
The dress is lovely and looks great on its own or with the bolero jacket. Have a great long weekend!
ReplyDeleteHi Ema,
ReplyDeleteWell we could be twins, I bought this dress and it arrived yesterday! I have some pictures to post as well. I ordered a few dresses: the Andi shirtdress, the Rumi in black and the lace blouson in black, hopefully I'll have time to post some reviews tomorrow.
I bought the xs in the rowboat (black) and it is a touch snug around the hips but it looks great. It would be shapeless in a size bigger which wouldn't be good.
It is a bit short on me but somehow I don't mind. It will be great for travel that's for certain! And I love the touch of silk banding around the arms and collar: very nice.
I hope your weekend ends up being a fun one!
I too passed up this dress, but after seeing your post I want it! The color and fit looks so much better on you than online. The info you provided was really useful, thanks!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is one of five I check religiously!! I love it!! I have never left a comment, but decided I must today. I love this dress on you, especially belted and also with the jacket. Also, a few posts back you asked what we readers were wearing with the paisley JCREW shirt. I wore mine with a pale pink JCREW tank and with Joe's jeans. (sorry i don't know specific color and item names.) I also got a pair of the JCREW chino shorts in a darker gray(?) color, the paisley shirt looks good with that also. Another idea is of course white JCREW shorts, with a white tank, or a white jean mini skirt!! Keep blogging!! Ashley :)
ReplyDeleteThis looks really, really chic on you. Me likey! :)
ReplyDelete