If you follow my blog regularly, you know that I am not the biggest Boden fan out there. I would say that I order one or two items per season maximum. Most of the prints are too bold for me and some styles on the other hand too classic. But every once in a while I find something to love, at least in the catalog pages, and I have learned that it is better to order early, especially with the incentive of a good promo, because sizes go fast and the waistlists are loooong.
So the first item that caught my eye and ordered as soon as it came out is the Border print tunic. I am usually a 2 in Boden but this one also comes in Petite sizes and I had an hesitation. However, since I was planning to wear this mostly as a dress and not over leggings or pants, I went ahead with a 2R. I ordered the same color that the model is wearing (I must admit that that pic really sold me on the tunic as I find it lovely) which is called "pewter passion flower".
So I am happy to report that the 2 fits as expected and the length is just perfect to wear it as a dress (it is a little bit longer on me than on me model, which is actually better). It is extremely flattering even if this kind of fabric tends to be clingy. I threw on some sandals just to see the effect (granted they are not the best style for this dress, but that's what I could find in my scavenger dressing search):
I am a little bit weary of this syle of dresses because they tend to give me (and I am sure not only me) the pregnant look. But not this one. This is a side view pic to show you that I don't have a bump in this dress ;-)
If I was immediately sold on the fit I was a bit disappointed in the color. I was expecting another color, more brownish/muted while the main color it really is grey and the flowers are very peachy. All in all the print is more contrasted than how it looks online or in the catalog. The picture above (with the side view) and the one below are more true to life in terms of the color than the first two (I adjusted the setting of my camera after the first pictures even if it couldn't capture the color exactly):
I don't know if it is just that I was expecting something else and I have to adjust to it but I was a little bit taken aback and I have to decide if I like it enough and I would wear it enough. It isn't a color that screams summer to me and I am tempted to order the olive colorway to compare (I know that olive doesn't scream summer either, but the other shade in the "olive passion flower" colorway seems to be a blue/turquoise and the global effect of the print could be more summery).
Besides the color it is a great dress (I say dress and not tunic because I think that anyone could wear this as a dress). It is the perfect thing to wear to go out for drinks and dinner with friends in the summer (the problem is, I don't do that that much anymore). I think a little jeans jacket would look terrific with this dress (I am on the search for the perfect little jeans jacket for the summer, since I don't have one, and it looks like I don't have to look too far because the JCrew Nolita might be the one, with its perfectly weathered look).
What do you think of the Boden Border print tunic? Is it tempting you? Please share!
I will be back soon with some JCrew fitting room pics. Have a nice weekend all!




It looks fantastic on you but I agree the pattern is summery. I see that Boden seems to be offering a few more solids in many of its dresses and skirts. The patterns are also too loud and kooky for me though on the right person they would be whimsical. But i am glad to see more solids. Also for me the sleeves on this dress would make it too hot for summer in my climate (the midwest). I generally like that style but I'm holding out to see it on someone curvy.
ReplyDeleteI do notice that the reviews on Boden's site seem to be written by women in their 40s and 50s so maybe their styles are forgiving. I haven't ordered any Boden for myself. I love it for my son, though. They have the best designs out there for little boys!
I like that tunic! Some of my favorite Boden items from past seasons are those kinds of Mediterranean-print tunics. But definitely, except for a couple of sweaters, most of my Boden just sit in the closet so I've bought much less. There have been some pretty dresses and tunics last season that I've been interested in, but then Boden throws in beads or stones around the neckline, and those always disappoint IRL for me, too over-the-top. Occasionally I wind up detaching the stones and beads by hand!
ReplyDeleteThe problem is, I love Boden for the kids, so I wind up trying some things for myself.. then returning them.
Anyway, the dress looks great on you if you do decide to keep it.
I ordered this too and was totally surprised by the color as well. I was expecting, based on the photos on the Boden website, for the colors to be primarily grey, and that peach + yellow was totally unexpected. I feel like this happens a LOT with Boden, particularly with the women's items. I really think they must have altered the color in the photos.
ReplyDeleteI am going to keep mine even though it's not 100% what I was looking for. I really love the fit and the fabric is so comfortable. what kind of shoes do you think will go best with this tunic, if worn as a dress?
I'm really tempted by it after reading your post. I feel the same way as you do about Boden, I'm not a huge fan but every once in a while something catches my eye, usually a tunic, which are kind of hard to find. I would wear this as a dress in the spring and summer, so I'm heading over the to site to look at colors. It's SO frustrating when you're expecting one thing from the photos and get something so different. For what it's worth, it looks great on you!
ReplyDeleteHey!
ReplyDeleteI am expecting to receive that tunic soon, but a bit later as all my items shipped from Leicester (mini Boden and my Boden, lol). I am truly very excited for this piece as well. I think it is the perfect tunic for so many, stretchy material and flattering shape.
I am pregnant (clearly), but I have the utter confidence that it will fit me now and postpartum, just like the terazzo tunic of last year (similar style, more of a mosaic pattern).
Boden is making a chic turnaround, but will always offer the big buttons and big prints. I think they have to. :)
For any of your readers who are interested, and don't know about this, I publish a Boden Weekly Review Roundup on my blog on Wednesdays, sometimes Thursdays. This past one only had one review, but I anticipate as more blog friends (like you!) get their packages in the mail, I will be having many very long roundups, indeed!
http://mysuperfluities.blogspot.com/2012/01/boden-weeklly-review-roundup-open.html
Talk soon!
The dress is so flattering on you! It looks great. I would keep it.
ReplyDeleteGeneration Kvetch, the sleeves can be a problem here in NYC too, definitively not for the dog days of summer!
ReplyDeletedinster, I used to order a lot for my daughter too but I find it to be too expensive, with few exceptions. Since they outgrow clothes so quickly, I don't really mind about durability and I find that H&M has very cute stuff for a third of the price.
c and m, yes I agree about the prints looking different IRL.
I think that a pair of flat thongs with a very slim strap like the Tory Burch Emmies would work best with this dress.
Sue, I agree that it isn't easy to find great tunics and Boden seems to have the best ones around. Thanks for the compliment!
Dina, thank you for stopping by.
I wanted to add a link to your giweaway but I was in a hurry, thanks for telling my readers ;-).
Kristen, thanks but I have to decide if I am actually going to wear it.