Sunday, January 22, 2012

More Boden

So I had a very bad week. My husband was travelling and I came down with a cold, which gave me a very bad migraine that lasted two days. In addition to that I received some distressing news and I had to go to school evening events in the cold. Let's just say that on Thursday I ended up throwing up in the bathroom of a friend of mine (I should add that this friend is a stay at home dad) while I was changing my daughter who had peed in her pants on our way to a drop-off playdate at his place (I had to carry her for three blocks and I got pee all over my puffer, which probably triggered the throwing up, that was already threatening due to the migraine).

In other news I received three more packages from Boden and I am afraid to say that there were more misses than hits.
One of the items that I was really excited about in the Boden Spring catalog was the Notch neck tunic. I have the version from two years ago which I LOVE and you can see here, so when I see that it had made a comeback in a beautiful yellow I immediately pulled the trigger. I ordered my regular size, a 2.
First of all the color is not the bright and sunny yellow seen in the pic with the tunic worn by the model; it is more of a mustard-y yellow as the color swatch shows (when you click on YEL to make your selection). This was already a disappointment, but the fit is also a little bit off. Not nearly as flattering as my other tunic, for some reason that I can't pintpoint exactly. I would say that the waist (which is actually an empire) gathering sits a little bit higher and because of that the tunic doesn't flow as nicely from there. All in all it appears a bit shorter everywhere. It could be that my body as changed in the meanwhile, or also an effect of the color. In any case, I don't like it enough and I don't think that ordering a size up will drastically change the result in a positive way (it will be too big on top).
Here it is:


The other item that I received (besides a pair of ADORABLE ballet flats for my daughter) is the Pool party tunic from the clearance section. I had already ordered this tunic last year in the yellow colorway when it came out but didn't like it enough for the price. It is now VERY CHEAP, so I thought that I would give it a try in the Rosebud Pavillon color. At the last minute I threw in another one in the Aqua Pavillon colorway, in case that the pink colorway would be too similar to my other Boden tunic.

I don't know what to say bout this one. The fit is good but when they say "Hello Mrs. Robinson", they really mean it. It is fairly sheer, so it can only be worn at the beach/pool or in a resort setting. What I don't like in this tunic is the neckline. It is almost a loophole but an asymmetric one and it just sits weird (poor execution IMO). Plus, they sew "rhinestones" all around it, but they are the same quality as the jewels that you can buy at the Craft store around the corner and that my daughter uses for her "projects". If I had to keep it, I woud probably take them off. I like the colors though, especially in the pink one, where the green is more of an aqua, and I think I could wear on vacation even in the evening with a pair of sandals (the Aqua Pavillon colorway looks more like a cover-up to me). I am tempted to keep it (sans jewels) but I would appreciate any opinion that you might have on this one!

Rosebud Pavillon:


And Aqua Pavillon:


I also ordered another item from the clearance section, the Colourblock tunic in the red colorway (this one was really a popback in my size). This was so bad on me that I didn't even take pics. The fit was all wrong (it was supershort and unflattering) and as I told a friend of mine, I felt like a menopaused woman who wants to go out and have fun one last time. Too bad because on the other side the color was really great and I really wanted it to work, since I don't have any red dress.

OK, I think that this ends my Boden adventure. I don't think I am going to order anything else for a while. After the week that I had and these failures I needed a pick-me up and I caved on some fs items at JCrew that I am pretty sure I am going to like and won't make me feel... menopaused just yet.

Have a good Sunday all!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Ema,
    I am so sorry to read about your terrible week. I hope that your cold is gone and that your migraine is completely gone! I get those too and I so sympathize.

    I do like the pink tunic, there's something about it, it has a 60's vibe in a good way. I think it would be pretty with the JCrew golden stripe bracelet in the mint color, which I have and love.
    I also like the aqua tunic, I think the bits of lavender in the print are gorgeous. Both pieces would be wonderful to have on a warm holiday.
    Looking forward to seeing your JCrew cheer-up pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your horrid week -- it sounds just terrible. I hope this week is much better for you!

    Bummer about the notch-neck tunic, although I do think it still looks really cute on you in the picture.

    I also got the pool party turnic on clearance and thinks it's very fun, especially for a vacation. Just as Dani recommended, I made a polyvore of it with the mint bracelet -- super cute! I vote for keeping it. I don't mind the "jewels" but know what you mean about them being a bit craft-store-esque, haha.

    Can't wait to hear/see your JC items! I have some coming my way as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ema! Thursday sounds like it was quite a day. The weekend could only get better from there, hopefully!!

    I like the pool tunics too. If you decide to keep one or both, try leaving the beading on for the first wear or so and see if they grow on you. In photos at least, they don't look too obtrusive... Unless you are very good with a seam ripper -- for me, it is always risk to start removing embellishments...

    So sorry the yellow tunic did not work! I generally love Boden tunics, and I have to say, after your last post about the taupe/coral border print tunic, I ordered it and I love it. I agree with you about the yellow, though; thank you for your review as it was on my maybe list as well.

    I laughed when I read your colourblock tunic comments. I had the same reaction -- I'd ordered in red as well, and while I loved the material (Boden usually does jersey so, so well), I took a less-than-a-glance in the mirror and had to take it off immediately. I maybe have never looked worse in anything in my life.

    But I haven't given up on Boden. I love their cashmere, their skirts, the socks, and their tunics, mini Boden is adorable, esp. for girls (I think for boys, it gets a little baby-ish after age 8 or so), and I think Johnnie B does cute t-shirts for the 8-12 group...

    Here's to a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hon. As a fellow SAHM, I have experienced plenty of the days you mentioned. They truly truly stink. :/

    I will be praying this next week is far easier for you...

    I agree with you on the notch neck, the one we both have from years ago is so so much better. The shots on Boden tend to brighten the hues of the fabrics...it is very frustrating to expect one thing and receive another.

    That said, it does look lovely on you, but I agree, you need to be in love.

    Both pool party tunics look awesome on you and I own the pink version, so I think you should keep one of the two. I found it sheer (lol, pun intended) perfection for the days I hauled the kids and me to the pool. It keeps the sun off the shoulders nicely and prevents sweltering in the heat owing to its lighter fabric.

    I definitely don't think you need two, so maybe pick one? At that price, you could justify one for hanging out in the dog days of August.

    Some of Boden's tunics can look matronly, I agree...I definitely try to stay away from the ones that could potentially "frump" me up, generally the ones that are too loose in the bodice.

    Good luck! Can't wait to see the J. Crew fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you have had a rotten week. Hope you are feeling better now! The pool party tunics look they would be great for a beach vacation. Looking forward to seeing your J. Crew order!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ema, I hope you are feeling better. I get migraines too and they are just awful, aren't they?

    I really like the pool tunics. I think they would be great for beach vacations. I agree with the poster who said that perhaps wait and see if the beading grows on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ema I'm so sorry to learn of your migraines. Mne were - well, disabling is the only word until I finally identified my "migraine triggers" (they are different for everyone), and then got the proper medication (again, there is a class of specific migraine mess called tryptans, but sadly it's trial and error to get the one that's right for you).

    Sounds like a lousy week with lousy weather. Things will get better soon, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually have good luck with Boden too but not this time. Sent a whole box back. It takes FOREVER for returns as well. Still waiting 2 1/2 weeks to get my money back. It is sheer craziness. I just cannot wait that long for returns so sadly no more Boden for me either!

    Hope you have a great week this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pool party tunic looks great on you in both colors! I like the yellow one on you too. I have the earlier version as well and this one does look slightly different, but still cute. I am a new reader and love your blog!

    Amy @ http://shopmycloset-amy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your sick days but I had to laugh when you mentioned the pee on your puffer being the final trigger. Wasn't there some complaints on JCA about stinky puffers? Lol. I just wanted to ask if you have been by the calypso store recently? I was perusing the website this weekend and they have alot of cute items. Hope you have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ema, I hope you are feeling better!

    I think I've complained about Boden before to you. For some reason, the fit is always off on me too; either the arms are awkward or the waistline is too high or too tight, or the hips are too tights -- I just don't seem to have the right body type for Boden. I like their jersey tunics because the fit molds to one's body, and some of their sweaters are wardrobe staples. But their woven cotton dresses always wind up unworn.

    It's a shame because sometimes they are wonderful prints. But even the prints -- sometimes what looks gorgeous in a beach-setting catalog does not look so great on the wet pavement in front of my daughter's school.

    ReplyDelete