Thursday, February 23, 2012
JCrew March New Arrivals, Part 1: Dresses
Hello ladies, I had to visit a store today under excitement of the new rollout (good thing that on Thursday my daughter is at school until 2.30 so I have a more free time than the rest of the week). What really decided me to go was the appeareance of the Vintage cotton bandana tee. I hadn't been this excited for a tee in a very long time so I wanted to see it IRL. I ended up not buying it because I think that the price on this one is outrageous and I couldn't shake off the thought that it would retail for $12 at H&M. I will wait at least for a promo or for it to go on sale.
I have a lot of pics to post and very little time tonight, so I am going to post only the pics of the dresses because there aren't that many and I bought one ;-).
Let's start with the Fabiola dress in abstract leopard. I grabbed this dress only to try for the blog but it was really flattering on. If I had somewhere to go in it, I would buy it but I have very little use for this kind of dresses so I will wait for it to go on sale (and by that time I will probably and hopefully fallen out of love). It fits TTS to a little small in the bust area, trying a 0 here:
As you can see it is more revealing on me than on the model, so I don't think it is work appropriate unfortunately. It is a great going-out-to-dinner or even occasion dress IMO. The fabric is a woven cotton pique, or at least that's what they call it, it doesn't feel like cotton pique to me but it is definitively "bumpy" (and not a knit) and it is lined in polyester.
It has pockets, that create a little pouch (only flawn of the dress IMO), but not so much so as to become unflattering. Side view:
Next, a store only dress in a fabulous yellow color. This style doesn't work on me at all and I tried a 2 because I knew that a 0 would be too high-waisted. It is a little bit little-girlish, like a sleeveless Teddie. It retails for $148 and I think it's a blend of cotton and linen (not sure, I forgot to check the label). That's not a peplum at mid-thigh BTW, it is just a crease:
The new Maritime dress in skinny stripe has been around since January in the stores and I had taken pic a long ago but decided not to post it because it was store only and I wasn't crazy about it. Now that it is also on the website it might help someone. This is the XXS, it felt a little bit shorter than last year Maritime, but maybe it was just a feeling:
Next, a new version of the Amie dress, that is in store only for the time being. I liked this a lot, this print is more elegant, in a nautical-chic way, than the previous versions of the Amie IMO. This is XXS and it retails for $110 (I didn't buy it since I have a similar Zara dress):
And last, the one that I bought. It is a 3/4 sleeves knit striped maxidress. When I saw it I couldn't tell if it would look completely shapeless and old-ladish or incredibly chic. Well, it really depends on the belt. It is shapeless without a belt, but very chic with a belt. The style number is #73211 and it retails for $98. This is the XXS (at first it felt a bit tight in the upper arms area but then I think I stretched out a bit and the sensation disappeared):
It has slints on the sides, which are great for walking if you are not a mermaid and are not too sexy because they stop below the knee:
That's it for tonight, more tomorrow. Dit you see anything that you like and would buy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











Ugh, I love how the maritime w/skinny stripes and the amie dress look on you. (I say ugh because the matitime will probably not look as good on me but I'm loving how it looks so much, I may get it even if it's only worn at home or vacation.) I'm not a maxi dress type but this striped amie dress is a must try for me now. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting pics.
ReplyDeleteI think the other dresses look great on you too, even the wrinkled yellow dress. ;)
I love the martime skinny stripe dress so cute, but I know dh would not like it so will probably pass unless I can get it on mark down. All of the dresses look lovely on you .
ReplyDeleteThe Fabiola dress is gorgeous! And that maxi dress you picked up is pretty- I like the way the stripes match up!
ReplyDeleteLove that new Amie dress! Wish my store had that one, but they don't have it yet. I tried on that other maxi dress, and thought it was so cute, but it was sooo thin -- you could definitely see everything under it. Maybe a slip will help that out though? Wish it had just been a touch thicker. Looks very chic on you!
ReplyDeleteI got the same dress! I couldn't resist that one. the slits are great, good for movement and not revealing. The dress also had a nice flow & feel to it. I tried on the others that you did, except the Fabiola. Too bad about the high waisted dresses like that pretty yellow number. I agree w/it looking a little girlish because of that.
ReplyDeleteI had been dismissing all the maxis until I saw you in the wide stiped one that you bought. Love it on you and now I want one! ;)
ReplyDeletelove the leopard dress
ReplyDeletelove the wide striped maxi, how tall are you the length is just right for you. I'm 5 3 and all the maxis are just too long.
and that bandana tee, fun--price too high
love the striped maxi dress on you! the leopard dress looks great too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all these photos and reviews. Good to get the details on the Fabiola dress, out of my cart it goes. The maxis look great on you. I'd love to get the wide-stripe version so thank you for providing the style number.
ReplyDeleteThe Fabiola dress fits you very well, but I can see how you don't see much use of it and it would be the same for me. I have too many 'dinner in the nice restaurant' dresses, many times we also go for drinks and I end up going in jeans and a dressy top.
ReplyDeleteJustVisiting, yes that new Amie is beautiful, I would totally get it if I didn't have the Zara striped maxi from last year that is exactly the same style (even if different colors). Maybe on supersale. I am not sure if it will ever be on the website but since it took more than a month for the Maritime to appear on the website, you never know!
ReplyDeletesimplydreaming, thank you (my husband wouldn't like it either, I think)
thatdamngreendress, thanks. See, I didn't even notice about the stripes matching up (probably because I kind of expect stripes matching up, especially wide stripes) but now that you mention it, I agree that they didn't screw it up!
shopwithm, I like it exactly because it is thinner than the Amie, I find the Amie borderline too clingy. But I understand you worrying about VPL or sheerness. It didn't strike me as particularly sheer but I didn't have a good lighting in the fitting room and it doesn't bother me too much anyway in the summer.
gigi, I can totally see you in this dress (and I hope to see it soon on your blog)! I liked how it flows too. I looked up the fabric content and it is 85% rayon and 15% linen, that's probably why.
tiffany rose, it's a good one to start with!
kate, thanks! I am 5'2". I used to be sized out in JCrew maxis until they introduced the size XXS. If you are petite AND you can wear a XXS you will be fine.
Amy, thanks!
xoxo, bummer about the Fabiola but glad that you found something that you like in my picks.
ajc, yes I end up not wearing this kind of dress buyt if it ever makes it to sale it will mine!
Thank you so much for your review! I loved the maxi dress on you, I am 5'2" as well so I think I am going to try and find it. Is it an in store only dress? Thank you again I do appreciate how thorough you are.
ReplyDeleteMB, yes it is in store only, at least for this rollout. Let me know if you need more infos.
ReplyDeleteI forgot! It is calle the "Seaport maxidress" and it has cute golden bottons on the shoulders (two on each shoulder) that you can't see in the pics!
ReplyDeleteThe maxi dress is super cute!!!
ReplyDeleteOh that long dress is stunning on you Ema, it's incredibly chic looking, I'm going to hunt for that when I'm over, it looks so easy to wear too
ReplyDeleteEmma thanks so much, I am headed out today to hunt for it. I was in NYC last Saturday in SoHo and just missed the new arrivals. Hopefully I will find this today. It looked very chic and flattering on you. Will keep you posted. Enjoy this chilly Saturday, what a difference a week makes!!
ReplyDeleteAddendum: I tried the Fabiola dress and the fit is amazing. And the print is kind of nice irl. I am tempted by it. I will have a review up soon and will link to yours as well.
ReplyDeleteEma, sorry I spelled your name incorrectly before :).. I found the dress today!!! Thanks so much again, had a blast shopping today. Tried on so many fun pieces, one of my favs was a large polka dot flair skirt, background was ivory and the dots were navy. They told me it just arrived yesterday, cotton and silk. I think I might call and have them ship it to me, can't stop thinking about it. Thanks again Cheers!!
ReplyDeleteTotally off topic...but how have your Tory Burch Revas in nude (possibly "Royal Tan" tumbled leather) held up? I bought the Eddies in patent leather around the same time and they're a mess - I'm about to toss them, but need a replacement. (I'm pretty sure you told me not to buy them!) Thoughts? Thanks!
ReplyDelete