Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Product Review: the Bonfire cardigan

When I posted the pics of the new arrivals I also had pics of the Bonfire cardigan to show you but I decided that I would rather write up a quick dedicated post since this cardigan is now in the final sale section (it was on promo when I tried it on and I was contemplating ordering as a ride-along, which I never did). It appear to be sold-out in small sizes but I am pretty sure that it will popback, so I think that these pics can still be helpful.

First let me say that I saw this cardigan on someone in a cafe and it looked smashing on her. She was sitting at a table so I couldn't tell how tall she was but she was definitively taller than me and the lapels fell very nicely. And yes, she had belted it and looked great. So, especially if you are tall, I don't want you to think that I absolutely do not recommend it. Plus I was pleasantly surprised when I touched it because it is much more substantial than what it looks on the website. It is really a beautiful cardigan but the thing is, it really looked awful on me and if you are a petite, chances are that it won't look good on you either (if you are petite and you can pull off this cardigan, please chime in).

So, I tried a XS first, which as you know is my regular size, especially in this kind of over-sized cardigan. The effect was of something that is wider than longer (which is never good, ladies, especially if you are petite):




Besides the feeling of being eaten up by the lapels, what bothered me was the length, so the SA suggested that I try a S (which I already knew wouldn't work but because I was there I decided to give it a try). The fit was actually better in the S but there was too much fabric as the lapels are not supposed to overlap but to fall straight down.
Here is the S with the Timber tweed pencil skirt (I liked the two together BTW):




I didn't want to give up just yet and tried it with a pair of cords (not really my size):



It doesn't look so bad in the pic but the thing is that I liked the S better because it was more proportioned but it was just too big overall. So when I came home I deleted from my cart.

While we are at it, I am going to show you a jacket that I tried that same day and I didn't include in my post yesterday because I don't know if it is something that a lot of stores carry or will be offered online and it belongs more to a "crazy item of the week" post. It is a silk tweed Collection jacket with metallic threads and I took it to the fitting room because it looked nice on the hanger and also on:




What's crazy was the price (this thing costs nearly $800) AND the fact that it was fraying all over. Who wants to wear a $800 jacket that is fraying (it had long threads hanging from the sleeves)? Anyway, I wanted to show it to you as an example of the JCrew that I think everybody wants to go away.

Have you tried or do you own the Bonfire cardigan? Are you happy with it? Please share!

I am home with a sick child and I need some distraction, so I will be back soon!

9 comments:

  1. Ok I have the bonfire cardigan in marled gray in xs and can I say I absolutely love love love it? I'm starting to think I must be crazy though because no one else does! I am 5'3" and wear size 0 or xs typically for reference. It is super cozy and big I've worn it mostly belted. I feel like it was made really well too! Please tell me if I, a walking don't ha! :) really though love it and I'm considering buying the brown too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw first time posting! Really enjoy your blog :) hope your little one starts feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your little girl gets better soon.
    That kind of Crazy Jacket is exactly the JCrew we want to go away! $800 my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jcrewlove, you're not alone-I have the bonfire cardigan in the marled brown size xs and I love it too! Like you, I'm petite, but don't find it too overwhelming, just really comfy and cozy. I'm surprised that no one else seems to like it but I'm also thinking about getting the gray now. I wish they offered more colors. I think I'll be wearing it all the time.

    ema, I think you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this post-----i did wonder about this cardigan, but it is not my cup of tea. hope your daughter gets better, my son had the stomach bug this past weekend----and my daughter was sick when we had the last big storm. Looks like ill be home when thursday's big storm hits, so, if you have time, i was wondering if you could post a few ootd's that you have worn lately??!! i just love your outfits and how you style things!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Ema! I currently have the grey bonfire, and like jcrewlove and shop316, I love it! I'm actually a shortie and don't feel like this cardi overwhelms. Although, it is quite the warm, chunky knit. It IS substantial and well-made. And the best thing? It's machine washable!! How often do you get that from J.Crew nowadays? :)

    And yes, I just ordered the bonfire in the oatmeal color. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and I hope your baby feels much better!

    And that jacket looks great on you! But whoo! $800??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...not personnaly feelin' the bonfire cardigan. I think it would overwhelm me though i've seen it on others and it looks great.

    I saw that metallic jacket at the Collection store this summer, and what shocked me the most was not so much the price (although i admit it was crazy), but the material -- synthetic. My thoughts were: You want how much for this?

    Best wishes to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted this cardigan from the first time I saw it in the catalog and I purchased it as soon as it went on sale with a promo. Like you, I really wanted to find a way to make it work but I just didn't love it no matter how hard I tried.

    I am 5'9" and I still felt like it swallowed me. I have a lot of "lounge at home cardigans" and I was pretty sure that is how it would end up being used.

    I liked the cardigan but even at the special price I didn't love it enough to justify the cost. Plus, I live in sunny San Diego and this baby was HEAVY. When I returned it, even the sales lady was shocked at the weight.

    For those that it worked on, I am super jealous because I think it has such great potential...just not on me

    ReplyDelete