Friday, February 25, 2011

JCrew March Catalog New Arrivals: Part 2 (Skirts and Dresses)

Good morning! This is the second part of the March new arrivals fitting room pics post that I started yesterday. To see the first part (jackets and tops) click here. I tried fewer skirts and dresses than tops so this post is going to be shorter.

The item that I was really excited about in this rollout was the Chambray Eyelet skirt that the model was already wearing with some tees of the last rollout (like this one) even if the skirt had not been officially released yet. So when I saw it in the store I grabbed it immediately in the grey colorway.
This skirt was a disappointment. It looks so cute on the model but I found it very unflattering on me (especially compared to the Dolby skirt). The two layers of fabric made it pouf and the lenght in both the 0 (too short) and the 2 wasn't right.
Here is the 2
:


It probably looks better with a belt, like on the model. I will try it again when it goes on sale and we are more in the season to wear it but it is a pass for me at full price. I must say, I am very happy with my Dolby so I don't need this.

Next skirt, the Gingham mini. OK, this one is adorable if you are a 20 something but I think it's a little bit age-inappropriate for the ones over 30, not to mention the over 40 (BTW, I think that the outfit on the model looks nerdy). I was very tempted, especially because IT IS ALREADY ON SALE IN STORES FOR $39.99 if you can believe it, but I resisted. I am sorry I don't have a full pic, but in this one you can see the length on me (it's a size 2):


At first I didn't try any dress on, but then I saw one that I really liked and made a second round of try-ons. I was a little bit tired by then, so I didn't take my pants off. Apologies if in all the following pics you can see my pants rolled down!
OK, my absolute fave was the Boathouse dress. This dress is super-comfy. It is made in a cotton twill that feels like a knit. I think that it is the same fabric of the Sailor-stripe boy shirt, that I didn't see in my store.
In any case I really liked it: it's mommy-friendly and fits perfectly (some of you might find it a bit short though). This is the 0:


It has a front snap-buttons closure and a zipper at the skirt (very nice detail):


I was very tempted but besides the fact that I find it a little bit overpriced, the Carly dress fiasco from last year (that I bought FP early in the season and wore twice) still hurts. So I am going to think about it and maybe buy it later if a promo comes along (or, of course, if it goes on sale soon).

I really shouldn't show you the next one. It has to be the most unflattering dress that I ever tried on so you have to promise that you won't post these pics on Facebook and make fun of me ;-).
It isn't a new arrival on the website but it is in stores and I almost ordered it before my vacation: it looked like the perfect easy summer dress. It's the Chambray dress. I tried a XS in the ble stone color. I will let the pics speak for themselves:


I adjusted it a little bit but it was still a disaster:


On the other side, I wasn't expecting to like the Delaney Eyelet shift but it is very flattering. I tried a 0 and it fits perfectly, especially in the bust which is rare for a v-neck dress:


The skirt is fuller than I usually like and it poufs out a little bit but without make my hips look wider. I felt very pretty in this dress.
This dress is a winner but because it is not something that I would get a lot of wear out of (it's a going-out-to-the-restaurant-with-hubby kind of dress) I had put it on my sale wishlist. I was lucky enough to find a EUC one in my size and in white (the only color I was interested in) on the weekly exchange yesterday for less than half the price, so I am pretty happy. Thank you jcrewjunkie!

That's it for this first round of new arrivals try-ons. I will probably go back in a couple of days with a list of things to check-out/see in person after perusing the new catalog and the website and I will probably write up another post.

Did you see anything that you like?" What do you think of the skirts ad dresses from this rollout?

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Em! Okay, thank you for posting these. SUch a lovely treat to look at your posts! I do LOVE the boatdress, like you, but i was shocked when i saw the price! I was expecting like 69.50 (which, i still wouldn't buy it at that price) so i am like you, waiting for a promo or for this one to go on sale! I see that sunwashed sweatshirt again....hmmmm i am starting to really like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Delaney eyelet dress more than makes up for the chambray dress. So far I've seen it on you and (I think) Shop With M's blog & it is really looks like a nicely fitted dress.

    Ditto here on the boathouse dress. Like it but I don't want to pay so much for a "easy and effortless" cotton dress. Hoping to get it on sale in pink.

    Thanks for your posts & pic.'s!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gingham mini looks even prettier IRL. Added back to my wishlist. Thanks for all the photos and reviews, you are so incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fitting room reviews, Ema, thank you so much! The boathouse dress and Delaney eyelet look very promising for Summer/vacation day dresses... hope to try soon :) Pricing seems a little high on a lot of these new arrivals. Makes me wonder if they will be promo'ing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white dress is lovely on you, you look like an E cup in the chambray one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think the sun drenched colors are for me, but I really like the irl pic of it on you. Better than the catalog shot. The Delaney eyelet is so cute on you. Very pretty. I think it can be a casual dress. I guess not for park visits, but I can see you out and about in it with sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ema, I love the Delaney on you, congrats on getting it for less!

    You've gotten me to look at the boathouse twice! :)

    Thanks VERY MUCH for your great and timely reviews, they are much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mrs.anketell, yes $98 is definitively too much. To answer your question re. new tees, there weren't many in this rollout. Besides the crosstown I tried the babydoll one but it wasn't flattering at all and too big in the body.

    IRL, thank you! I am happy that I stumbled on the Delaney on the weekly exchange, I wouldn't have got it for fp or even on promo.

    xoxo, thank you. I had seen the gingham skirt last week and thought it was cute but not $69 cute but I was surprised to see it on sale akready. Maybe I should try it again!

    Sparrow (where Sweet Tea went?), thank you! I would say that boathouse is more of a city dress while the Delaney is more of a vacation dress. I think you will love the Delaney.

    Tabitha, I know! What a strange feeling. Maybe it was my bra. In any case it is cut too high.

    Gigi, thank you. Maybe you should try the white one. You are right, I can certainly go out and about in the Delaney and flat sandals but I think it wrinkles easily and looks so immaculate in white that I don't know if I want my daughter to come close to it ;-).

    Amy, thank you for leaving a comment and always supporting me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Boathouse dress! I'm a little confused by the zipper in the front, though...is it only a few inches long, like a zipper for pants? What is the point of that? It is so cute though. Rest assured it will be on sale in a week or so :) The Delaney is adorable...must try that one. Thanks for the pics! They are so very helpful.

    ReplyDelete