Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Casbah Paisley Collection Is Here

You probably remember the green paisley romper from the JCrew Spring Lookbook. As many of you I was eagerly awaiting to see that print in stores, as to me it was the highlight of the summer Collection.
Well, it is finally here. It is called "Casbah Paisley" and so far has been made into a perfect shirt, a short-sleeved blouse, a strapless dress, a cotton tunic, a couple of swimsuits and a scarf. I previewed some of these items yesterday at the Collection store and except they are all available on the website as of this morning. Quite strangely the romper, that was showcased as the highlight of the collection, wasn't in store (but it is available online here.

I had high hopes for the dress (featured in the new May Catalog) because I have an occasion to wear it this summer but it was disappointing. I usually do well with strapless styles but the fit of this one was off and gave me the pregnant look (and I don't need a $198 dress that makes me look pregnant, thank you very much). This is the 0:


You can already see that it wasn't extremily flattering from the front but wait for the side pic. I look 6 month pregnant:


Now you know why in the Catalog they show it with a belt under the bodice. But I really don't know how anyone could wear a belt around the ribcage in real life. I hope that it works for someone else, because it is such a beautiful print for a dress. Now that the dress is out of the question, I could actually go with that romper!

The perfect shirt was much better. It is the typical silk-cotton lawn blend of their summer perfect shirts and it is particularly suited to this striking print, it looked very breezy. I usually don't buy the summer perfect shirts because it gets too warm here to wear something silk and long-sleeved but I might go with this one or the blouse as I want something in this print (I was joking about the romper, I think I have exceeded the expiration date for wearing rompers). This is a size 2 (I am usually a 0 and it fits a little bit "relaxed" so I would say TTS):


The cotton tunic looks promising, even if a little bit overpriced at $88 (this is catalog only, so I couldn't see it IRL):


As I said before, they also made a beautiful swimsuit collection and scarf in this print. I saw the scarf in the store and I thought it was linen but I see on the website that it is actually wool (boo!):


I also tried some other stuff but I wanted to share this first. Stay tuned for more new arrivals pics!

What do you think? Are you shopping the Casbah Collection?

13 comments:

  1. thanks for posting! i am liking the tunic, very pretty. Not sure about the other pieces................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your side view comment of the dress made me chuckle. Looks pretty from the front:)I think the print is pretty but would need to see in person to decide. Not a huge fan of green. Thanks for the pictures. I might pick up an accessory in this print like the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why in the world would they make a spring/summer scarf in wool? That makes no sense at all. I was hoping that they would make a skirt in this beautiful print...bummer! That would have been so pretty. I'm loving this print, so thanks for sharing your pics and reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't notice that the scarf is wool, why wouldn't it be linen? That's disappointing.
    I like this print but I doubt I'll buy any of it. I like a distinctive print in a dress, but if you look pregnant in this dress I definitely will.
    I like the short sleeve silk blouse online but that boxy shape is very unflattering on me.
    Thanks for trying everything on for us! I am curious to see what else you found from the new roll-out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this print and I hope I can find something that works for me in it. I wonder if the website could be wrong about the scarf being wool? Wouldn't be the first time Copywriters from Space made an error!

    Thank you for sharing all of this! I'm sorry the dress didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous print. The dress looks beautiful on you but I see your point about the side view. I may have to visit the store today to look at the perfect shirt. It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the print, but seems too seasonal for me.

    I saw that same green in the Tommy Hilfiger store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi -- first time commenting here, love the pictures you posted, so nice to see this print 'in action'! I really want to see the tunic, that's my favourite piece, and I don't mind the scarf being wool because I'll want to wear it in fall/winter maybe (especially if I don't buy it until it's on sale!!) Too bad about the dress side view although I don't even think it looks bad, but I guess you know what you're comfortable with... I suppose it's annoying that it's not more 'fully flattering' for that price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty print! I was in ny today actually and tempted to go see this IRL at the soho store after seeing your post, but kids would throw a tantrum if I toOk them out of central park and into a j crew. Next time we are in ny, we should meet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the pics! i think i would prefer the perfect shirt to be dress length and then i could wear a belt w/ it.

    too bad the dress has that weird poof. =/

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors of the Casbah print are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the print, will look for it today, the tunic is nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't normally like prints but that one is stunning.

    ReplyDelete