Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Perfect Boots

So I am still singing "Red and Black" this morning and I will admit to downloading it from iTunes, along with "One More day" , but Les Miserables is not the only movie that I saw recently in a movie theater. One day last week (it was Wednesday if I am not wrong) I was feeling depressed and under the weather (literally, it was raining and gloomy) so I decided to go and see "Silver Linings Playbook" on a whim to lift my spirits. I really liked the movie and it worked as a pick-me-up but I won't bother you with another movie review today as I don't want to alienate the readers who are here for the fashion (but if you have questions about the movie or you have seen it and you want to share your impressions leave a comment). I want to talk about the outfit that I wore to the movies that day.

You have probably noticed that I rarely wear knits in winter and by knits I mean knit dresses. I only have two and it is because I hate wearing tights and while a majority of ladies find knit dresses very easy to wear, I find the whole thing very complicated. I seem to never find the right tights and even with the right tights there is the problem of the footwear. As you know I am petite and I don't like how I look in tights and flats as I always had muscular calves that are accentuated by the tights and without a heel I just feel stomp. Wearing pumps during the day simply doesn't happen in my life so I end up wearing pants most of the time in winter (the same goes for pencil skirt and it is generally too cold to wear minis).
As I said the other day it was raining so I had an excuse to put on one of my few knit dresses because I was going to wear my rainboots, which are by L'Aigle and look like equestrian boots. A new pair of boots to wear with skirts and dresses was on my buy list this fall (as every fall) but I have a love/hate relationship with boots. While I love them on other people, most of the time I don't like how they look on me. Ideally I wanted a heel, but a walkable one and not a stiletto; I also dislike any sort of hardware on boots (including blingy zippers). So while I love shopping, as you know, I find shopping for boots a chore and as a  result I gave up on the task (as you will probably remember I bought a pair of Enzo Angiolini that I think were amazing for the price but I ended up returning because they looked too much like my rainboots and did nothing for my legs being completely flat). I also didn't know exactly what color I was looking for. I have an old pair of black Nine West in tumbled leather that I don't wear anymore for some reason but is still in good condition and my rainboots are black so another black pair seemed superfluous. I have too little brown in my wardrobe to pair with dark brown boots, so that leaves cognac (that I like but doesn't go very well with black and can be a bit too sporty) or a more "trendy" color like burgundy that can easily fall out of fashion. After spending hours and hours on various websites trying to decide if this pair or that pair were worth a try but , I decided that maybe I am not a boot person and moved on. 

Then one day I was walking on Madison and I saw a young lady wearing an amazing pair of boots (actually the entire outfit was quintessentially French chic and I am almost sure that she was French). They were classic but sexy at the same time, the heel was  manageable and straight, the color wasn't the usual black nor a dark brown nor a cognac but a brown bordering on burgundy. Leather looked amazing and no buckles or zippers. The funny thing is, I knew exactly what they were, for spending so much time on the website, or at least I thought I knew.
Once home I opened the computer and typed in "Stuart Weitzman Toujours". I had noticed these boots when I was looking for a pair because they looked gorgeous but they were uber-expensive (as almost all the Stuart Weitzman boots) and the shaft was said to be very high and fit very snug around the calves (my weak spot) so I had never really considered them even on sale. They were now half the price so I decided to give them a try. I was actually very surprised that they hadn't sold out immediately for that price but I took advantage of the situation and ordered them in two sizes since the reviews said that they run big. I ordered them on Zappos (here) because of the easiness of the free shipping and free returns but they are actually even less expensive on Piperline.com if you can still find your size.
I didn't expect them to work because pull-on boots never work on me and because of the supposedly high shaft but when they arrived I was actually surprised that I could put them on easily and that they didn't hit ackwardly the cap or the middle of my knee. They just looked beautiful and I felt like my legs just had plastic surgery. This was the 6H, which is half a size down from my regular size. The 7 was considerably bigger and the shaft at least half an inch higher and just didn't look so good (I was also feeling a bit unstable in them because they were too loose at the ankle). Granted, I can't wear them with my pants tucked in but I didn't buy them for that purpose, I bought them to wear with my knits and skirts.

Demonstration. This is the dress that I wore to the movie. It is a Talbots wool dress actually that I picked up when they had a crazy sale in the summer. I think I paid less than $12 for this dress so I thought that it was worth the final sale risk and the fact that I probably wasn't going to wear it that much. It is one of the two knit dresses that I was talking you about, the other being a Hilfiger in a camel colorway that I bought last year and barely wore once because it is very thick and warm and last year we didn't have a cold winter (I will wear it soon).
Let's not make a big deal out of the fact that without the belt this dress almost hits my ankles (really, Talbots, this is supposed to be a XS PETITE?), I think it looks terrific with my new boots:


See how the shaft keeps going straight on the leg and doesn't open up at the top? That's what I love in these boots and the reason why they are so flattering. This is typical of pull-ons but as I said it is difficult for me to find a pull-on pair that I can actually pull-on, usually they are made for models with the thinnest calves (not that these are big but the leather is so supple that it stretches out a bit. Also the fact that they are fully lined helps):


The other thing that I had in mind when I bought them is that knit skirt that I bought in Italy and just love but didn't know what to wear with, in terms of shoes. Well, now I know:




I can say that I finally found the perfect boots for me, they are exactly what I wanted and they are exceptionally well made so that they should last a lifetime (if I don't run in the mud in them of course). I guess I should thank that lady on the street. Now if only we could go back to normal winter temps, I could start wearing them with my skirts!

Are you still looking for the perfect pair of boots? Anybody has the Stuart Weitzman "Toujours"?

24 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say thank you for doing the "leg" work! I just ordered them! I went with Piperlime. $250, half size down. Fingers crossed they're perfect! They look perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the work for you too, they are gorgeous and the quality of the leather is amazing. In case they fit a bit snug in the leg (but the foot length is good) they can be stretched in the leg up to an inch.

      Delete
    2. Ema, I want to thank you again, because my boots just arrive and I am in LUST / LOVE with them!!! The size is PERFECT. I was so nervous about that, because if anything I have to size UP from 8.5, but the 8's are perfect. Not on the small side or large side. Amazing! They are a hair too long, but the leather is so soft and supple that my shoe guy can easily fold them down a bit, but I don't HAVE to do this. Sometimes I like a bit more space between my skirt hem and boot top, but we'll see. The color leaves me without words (could it be any more perfect?), and the shape is just so flattering. I don't get a 70's vibe from these at all, which is what I was expecting, judging from all the comments / reviews I read. Just wanted to send you thanks again! Also, yesterday Piperlime was running an additional 20% off their sale styles, so these babies could have been down to $200 for some lucky souls!

      Delete
    3. Also, having had them shipped to my office, I'm wearing pants, and they slipped over them beautifully (nice lining in them). Not too snug. Hooray!

      Delete
  2. Yay Ema - they look fabulous! I really like you in the knit dress. I am also pretty sure that if you have muscular calves everyone else is going to want them, too, as your legs look great to me.

    I saw Silver Lining Playbook and really loved it. I thought all of the cast was great and while the ending could have made it feel formulaic, it did not seem that way to me. I am like you and would recommend it for sure to anyone who asked!

    I am missing the shopping, but will be appreciative when I get to NYC as I will be able to find something special no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on Silver Lining, the actors were all great and the ending didn't feel cheesy, I was just cheering up for them.

      My calves are very photogenic, I think.
      I have always found them too big compared to the rest of me but it was worst when I was young because I was extremely thin AND I always did a lot of sport so my calves were very muscular. It got actually better in the last few years because I stopped any physical activity. Which makes me think that my new gym routine (3 times a week) is of no good to my calves and therefore my new boots!

      Delete
  3. be right back, going over to piperlime. Or Zappos. You rock, Ema!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boots are gorgeous. I can not imagine they would not be perfect with leggings and a blazer, too. There is nothing better that a new find that enhances pieces that are unworn in the closet. The boots are exactly the right tough for your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thick leggings could be challanging and will bunch up. But very thin leggings should work. I will try tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. I'm back, I ordered the boots. They were final sale, no returns, at Piperlime, so I went to Zappos.

    I am doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zappos = no brainer. And you can always reorder them at Piperlime for less if they work.

      Delete
    2. the funny thing is, there's a Stuart Weitzman store on Madison in the 60s, and here I am ordering from god knows where. But I've never been able to find my sixpence in the store.

      Delete
    3. autocorrect strikes again! that was my SIZE dammit

      Delete
    4. Haha, I thought that was just an expression I'd never heard before!

      Delete
  6. Awesome- there's nothing better than a knit dress in winter, I swear, but it's true that finding the perfect pair of boots is really tough! I'm so glad you found these!

    For the record, my favourite brand of tights is Hue- they come in opaque options that are durable and have no shininess, and of course they have tons of colour options!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ema, the colour on those boots is ideal. I don't need any tall boots and they are not on my list so I will pass. But, as another shorty, I know exactly what you mean about finding dress boots with a heel that you can still walk in during winter. Enjoy your perfect score.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boots are gorgeous! I have a flat pair of SW boots I bought at the Nordstrom Anniversary sale a few years ago. They are pull with stretch-y fabric in back, and I love them. Oddly, I had to size down in those too, but they are perfection and so comfortable. Your skirt is gorgeous. Such a great outfit. I know you'll love your boots for years!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look great on you!

    I can relate to your boot finding woes. I have had many a sartorial melt down about boots being both too high, and too narrow.

    I don't think those will work for me, because I'm a bit shorter than you. I appreciate that Zappos lists shaft width and height, it makes shopping easier.

    Do you know zalando (in Europe)? I just found some Salamander boots on there that I think might work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ema, I have a dilemma and need your advice. I scored the toujours boot for 150....except that it looks as if it has been exposed to shoppers and has a small nearly invisible stain on one boot - and plenty of dent marks. Piperlime has allowed me to return it... But I'm taken with the idea of the boot being my go to every day boot in the fall - a SW everyday boot! What luxury!, my shopping devil says. It's not like I can afford to waste the 150- what do you recommend? I'm sorry, I know this is your blog, but you will know above others what the boot looks and feels like. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to help but I am not sure if I understand the dilemma. You seem to ask for advice on the look and feel of the boots, that you can see for yourself. Are you asking me if is it worth it to keep a damaged pair? It depends on how much the damage bothers you and if you think that it will prevent you from wearing them. In general I tend to be forgiving because honestly we want our purchases to be absolutely flawless when we receive them but sometimes after the first wear things don't look as flawless anymore so I don't fuss too much about things being perfect out of the box (I have a friend who does though and she has probably more impeccable clothes than me) but again it depends on the damage. For example, where is the stain and is it very visible? Indentations are worst than a stain IMO and it depends on how many there are.
      If you are asking me if I honestly like the boots the answer is absolutely, they are the best boots I have EVER came across. I wore them yesterday night at a mom's night out at school.and everyone was looking at them or commenting at them. I would say keep them if you feel comfortable that you will wear them.
      I hope I somehow answered your question!

      Delete
  11. Hi Ema, thanks so much for taking the time to write back. You have answered my questions - I'm sorry they were so garbled. I guess I really want to keep them, but usually I'm a total snob abt getting a perfect pair. For 23% of the original price, though, I am tempted to mAke do and treat them with meltonian or smth. The stains (x2) aren't immediately visible but I spotted them because I set them up next to a window in bright daylight.

    Anyhow, thanks for your advice... I was looking for another girl's input and you definitely provided it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry to be nosy! I just wanted to say, you can try Amazon for around $200, if $50 more is enough to ease your mind regarding dents/stains. AJC purchased hers from Amazon. After such great reviews from Ema and AJC, I decided to try a pair myself from Amazon. You can get an additional 20% off if you subscribe to their shoe emails. Bringing it down to $200 made the purchase doable for me and my budget.

      Delete
    2. Hwin, thank you do much for the excellent suggestion! I really appreciate it and will check it out.

      Delete
  12. Just ordered! My size was sold out on Zappos, however I noticed Nordstrom had a full selection of sizes. I chatted with a PS and they matched the Zappos price! Can't wait to get them!

    ReplyDelete