Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rosa, Rosae ... Rosette (like in Rosette Tee)

Yesterday I bought myself two rosette tees. Yes, bought like "in-store-bought", not like "I-bought-on-ebay-for-twice-the-original-price". If you subscribed to this post on the JCA blog, you might have already heard the story (I know that Francesca did!), but I will tell it again here with more details. It's pretty instructive!

So, I was reading the JCA blog late at nigh Tuesday when a comment of an anon who said that she had spotted a few rosette tees on a table in the back of a store, that she named "Rock center store", caught my eye. I immediately went online in the store locator section, trying to find out where this "Rock Center" store could possibly be. Nothing, no locations called "Rock" and no "Rock Center" (maybe she meant "mall"?) in all the USA. I was about to give up when it hit me that she was talking about the Rockerfeller Center in Manhattan.

So, the morning after (ie yesterday) I called the store at 10 (I was in a hurry because I was bidding on one on ebay and the bid was about to end) and asked the SA who picked up the phone about the rosette tee. She said that they had them in the back and went checking for my size. Fifteen minutes after I was still waiting, so I hung up and called again. Another SA answered and this time the answer was a firm "no, we don't have those, they are sold out". I insisted because the first SA seemed pretty positive, but she fetched an annoyed sigh, like I didn't understand English (OK, sometimes it's true, particularly if I'm speaking with someone with a strong Southern accent, but I understand the Manhattan accent pretty well). I called again, had a third SA who told me the same thing and said that the first SA probably had mistaken it with the new dupioni-silk rosette tank that retails for $185 and it's a Collection piece. What could I say? But you know what, I pretty much trust more the people who give hints on the JCA blog than the avarage SA, so I didn't give up and went looking for the "Lauren Hutton" catalog (hoping that my husband hadn't thrown it away, which he always do when he finds a JCrew catalog around - can you believe that I have to hide them?) So here I am with the style number in one hand and the telephone in the other hand. Forth SA, I don't even explain that I've called before, I just ask if she can check on a style number and size. She looks in the computer and asks me to wait a moment. No more than three minutes later she picks up the phone again, asks if I'm the one waiting on the rosette tee. Yes. Shell? Yes. Size S? Yes (here my hopes fly really high). We have it, she says, I will put it on hold for you at the register. Like that. After four calls and 3 crewless SAs (HeidiG, I hope that you don't mind if I borrow the term, it's so appropriate!) calls. So, ladies, when you call a store and you're pretty sure that they have what you're looking for, just don't give up at the first crewless SA.

I was so excited that I HAD to go and pick it up (in case someone spotted it behind the register and pretended to be me, you never know) even if it was sure that it was going to rain and my daughter was ready for playground fun with shovel and bucket in her hands. Don't you want to take the bus instead, sweetie? It's so much fun! She didn't, she wanted to go and play in the sandbox, so we had to go. After ten minutes in the sand she was done with it, now she wanted to go to the zoo and watch the seahorses (or "otaries", that she has just learned to say in French). I liked that, because the zoo is merely 10 blocks away from the Jcrew store, so we went but we couldn't see the seahorses (from outside the zoo) because they had just fed them and they were (what is that seahorses do when they are not entertaining the visitors at the zoo? Swim?) sleeping in their pool. My daughter was so disappointed that I forgot for a second my tee and bought us two tickets so that we could at least see the penguins. She was delighted by the penguins (and so was I), and then she quietly falled asleep in the stroller, which is like a big green light for me to go shopping, when it's not raining like hell and I'm not 40 blocks far from home. But she was sleeping and well protected under the rain cover and it shouldn't take long because I only have to go to register and pay, right?, so here I'm, strolling down Fifth Avenue against the rain and the tourists.

Once arrived at the store, I, obviously, don't go straight to the register but take in the new arrivals, that I see for the first time. I'm a little bit overwhelmed, so I head to the back where the JCA spotted the rosette tees and in fact they are there. Two piles. Shell and (surprise) white (not natural, but white white). The first temptation is to buy the whole stock just for the sake of it, then I calm down and pick one of each in S and XS and head to the fitting rooms where I realize that not only I was about to pay much more fore the same thing on ebay but also buy the wrong size, because clearly I have to size down and take an XS in this.

This is more or less the end of the story (unless you want to hear how we managed to get home); I bought both the colors because I didn't want to change my mind and regret it after and here are some IRL pics, just because I want to share my happiness with you and in case someone is interested in seeing the white one.



I forgot to mention that I also picked up a cotton glass bottons cardi in shell to wear with the shell tee, because I don't have anything else in that color. Here is the entire outfit with the Cate slingbacks:



And this is the white one. I think I prefer the shell because the roses come out more on the shell and I can achieve the same look with any white tee:



And this is the last one that I want to share, with my daughter taking a nap on the floor:



Do you own the rosette tee? Which one do you prefer? Any episode involving crewless SAs that you want to share?

32 comments:

  1. they look great! Glad you found one
    (two, actually!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow... so glad you found them! What determination :) I enjoyed your story of your adventure. The pink is lovely with the Cates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ema - I own both the shell & the natural. Purchased them the first day they were in store (just b/c they were my style) and I'm so glad I did! Who knew they would be such a hit! So glad for you that you finally found them. I don't care for the white one so much tho. Did you see the Rosette Dress in the new arrivals? Love it so much but unfortunately I'm not going anywhere where it would be appropriate. Enjoy your tees! PS: what do you think of the new arrivals?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bit the bullet and bought the shell today, too!!! Pentagon City has some left, ladies...

    I bought it in a medium (I normally wear a small) because it is a bit clingy...

    You look so good in it! Glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you found the rosette tees! I am jealous that they had white at the store. I would love to have a white one. I have the shell and I love it. I agree with sparrows and sparkles that the shell goes well with the Cates and also the dusty rose Juliets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SUCH a good mom, Ema! I like to think that I, too, would have gone to the sandbox and the zoo and waited for my daughter to sleep before running to JCrew!!! Enjoy your Ts! (They'll be great for Bermuda. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting the rosette tees! And I'm so impressed with your determination!! Ah, those crewless SAs... Love the tees on you - esp with the jeans and the Cates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW- Congrats on the tee(s)! I am always glad to hear that I'm not the only one that stalks the SAs at some stores until I find what I want! :) You are a good mom- I would have RAN straight to the store, then to the sandbox and zoo!!!

    I have the rosette tee in shell AND natural! I really like them!

    Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your tees~ You look great in them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tees, esp. in the shell color. Some of the salespeople are "crewless" aren't they?? Had a similar experience when I called around and FINALLY one store in my state had what i was looking for!! But I feel like the other stores should have offered to call around and get it for me!! Cute pic, with your daughter napping on the floor!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the compliments ladies, this tee is really great. I started to regret not buying one around Valentine's Day, I would have loved to wear one that day but couldn't find it in the stores around here.

    Sparrowandsparkles and HeidiG, yes I can be very determined sometimes when it comes to clothes. I have also good luck or what I call a sixth sense for being in the right place (= store) at the right time.

    Anon @ 7:36 pm, I like the new arrivals even if I think that they are a little bit too dressy for the summer? I haven't seen them in detail though, when I picked up the rosette tees I didn't feel like trying anything else on, so I have to go back and look at them calmly.
    However, I'm drilling over the cutwave dress (item 15193), it's the kind of dress that can drive me crazy no matter the price tag and wearability. I hope that it's not as cute as in the pics because I feel that I'm going to splurge on that one ...

    Dinagedeon, what a coincidence! Enjoy your tee!

    Emily, I might end up returning the white one, I like the shell better.

    Anon @ 9:11 pm and MMM, thank you but each time that I drag my daughter in one of my shopping trips I feel such a bad mom, even if she's sleeping or we have just spent hours at the playground!

    Mrs.anketell, I used the "we will find it" service for the first time last week (actually it was the second time, but the first time I called back to cancel because I found the item before them and I didn't want to be charged). It's great because they do the job, not you! And they offer shipping on FP items. In fact it's even better than ordering online because they waive the shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shell tee with the Cates -- so chic & cute! So funny with the crewless SAs. When we go into a B&M and can call the item by name and know what colors it comes in, you know you're dealing with a hardcore JCA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky! Such a pretty outfit on you. I love the shell with the cardi. I remember looking at these in the store months ago and went to back to get one and it was gone. I can't do the eBay price but I guess I won't give up hope yet! Sounds like it was meant to be for you! I like the white too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ema: Thank you SO much for your IRL pics and the news that this tee comes in white! AND that it's available at the Rockefeller Center store! I just called and ordered one for myself (I'm in Ohio, and I've never seen that version at the B&M's here). I can't thank you enough! So exicted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable! Especially your sweet little one on the floor, too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fogot to comment on toddler sleeping on floor - love it! My Emma went through a phase around age 2 or 3 when she would just pass out on her floor because she didn't want to sleep in her bed. It always cracked me up because she just looked like a drunken college student (not that we ever did that as her parents...) And sure enough the phase passed...

    But what I wanted to tell you is a big, huge thank you, because I must have had my radar on because I walked in my B&M today and spied a huge pile of white and shell rosettes. I got the white one and am just thrilled. (Sure I will be posting pics soon!) Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I just saw your sweet girl on the floor...TOO PRECIOUS. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay went to the B&M and saw the white. Wasn't crazy about it but I am sure I will change my mind when it's sold out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you got it! I actually picked up the pink rosette tee this past Tuesday at the 5th ave/Union Square store. I was surprised that they have it now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. RatsOnParade an HeidiG, you're welcome. I really appreciate how people on the JCA blog help each other to find coveted items, so I'm more than happy to share some precious information when I can!

    Slastena, thank you for stopping by! Hope that you will visit again.

    And thank you all for the compliments on my daughter, she's a cutie pie! Her birthday is coming up soon (May) and I will share pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ema !
    I called the same store after seeing the msg on jca, they first said that they dont have it. I was pretty sure that they were too lazy to check. Then I called the 1800 number and told them the whole scenario and asked them to make a call while im on hold.
    They did find it the 2nd time !

    ReplyDelete
  21. double adorable. 1. your precious baby and you in your tee and cates. you look gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crew-sade - when you have to make a serious effort to search for a specific J Crew item, often further galvanized by a crew-less SA or two. (need to share with Gigi...)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was at the J Crew at the Beach in Destin Fl. They had a lot of pink & white rosettes t shirts. They are up front on a table.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay for you! Do you think that they have more in stock? I was nearby this afternoon and didn't stop in and now I could kick myself! Looking for a medium - and I'd settle for either color. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow so glad you were able to find the tees and didn't have to pay much more on ebay! after seeing your IRL pictures I am hoping my store has some of these tees left! whenever i put things on hold i always make sure to get the SA's name for reference because one time, they were unable to find my item in their hold closet and once I told them who put it on hold for me it miraculously appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The white sounds really pretty even if the flowers show up better on the blush. I would have purchased both. Love your outfit w/the glass button cardi. Pretty in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw this tee in person today. Oh my it was adorable just like it is on you. I know your little one brings much joy. Her nap pic is the cutest. I am trying to decide if I will get both colors before the Red Card expires 37.50 w/25% off. I plan on taking a few of my JC skirts to try on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ladies, I apologize for the late reply, I'm officially on vacation from the blog on weekends (well, it's kind of a FORCED vacation b/c my husband thinks that I spend too much time on the blogs instead of spending it with family, I won't dispute this one).

    Anon @ 12:27, good job, I'm proud of you ;-)

    Patina, thank you and welocme to my blog!

    HeidiG, you're the J.K. Rowling of the JCA world, when do you come up with all these hilarious neologisms? Seriously, you should write a book!

    Anon @ 12:21, they had a lot and I saw them again Saturday at the Fifth Avenue/Union Square store (people weren't paying much attention to them). Hope it's not too late.

    Tres tippy, it's a good tip to ask the name of the SA, I will keep that in mind the next time that I put on hold something.

    Gigi, thank you! I have returned the white one on Saturday, I prefer the pink and one rosette tee is enough.

    Anon, if you can't go and try it with the skirts, I would get the pink! The total with the red card is even less, $36.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Actually Gigi is the JK Rowling - she started it all and came up with Crewlade, which is still the best *ever*. I am the guy who was such a fan that he tried to publish a book about the Harry Potter world because he was such a fan and got sued and lost. Although I don't think Gigi has sued me yet. :) That's why I'm not posting her pic on eBay.

    I think the blogging weekend break is a great idea - it can become all-consuming, and we all need balance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your story and the IRL pics, especially the one with your daughter! :) You look great, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous from 4/25 @ 10:21 PM here: Thanks SO much...I finally ventured over to the Rockefeller store this afternoon and got my shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete