The first look is the look on page 52, featuring the Carmichael popover and the double serge pencil skirt in bronzed ochre:

I immediately liked the Carmichael popover when I saw it online and in the catalog and it didn't disappoint me when I saw it IRL and tried it on. I like everything about it: the relaxed but still feminine fit, the colors and the fact that I don't have anything plaid in my closet. But I waited for a % off before buying it. This season I am trying to stick to two simple rules: never buy FP (because things get marked down so quickly these days that it seems silly to buy something full price) and buy only stuff that I can make work with things that I already have.
In this case I don't have the bronzed ochre pencil skirt (and I don't plan to buy it until it goes on FS) but I have last year perfect pencil skirt in dusty blossom. The popover has a hint of dusty rose in it so the dusty blossom of the skirt is a very good match (better than the ochre in the catalog IMO). Instead of the wide calf hair belt, I'm wearing the equestrian belt:


The look also work with the Yoga dream sweater for more warmth:

The second look from the catalog that I wanted to recreate is the one on page 23, with the model on the bycicle:

I am quite lucky with this one as I own a substitute for each piece of the outfit and I don't need to buy anything. Instead of the toothpick jeans in smoke wash I have last year surplus matchstick in a very similar color (I don't remember how it was called); instead of the cashmere crewneck in heather cobblestone that the model is wearing I have the choice between the Corinne sweater (from HO08) in a similar color (it's more brownish IRL but you will see that it doesn't make a big difference) and my Yoga sweater in the same heather cobblestone. And instead of the flower sketch tee in irish moss, I have my new Loft tee in fall olive (any tee in a brownish-olive color will work).
This is the first option, with the Corinne sweater:

Striking the model's pose (but without the bycicle):

And this is the second option, with the Yoga sweater (sorry for the blurred picture), even if I think that the Corinne cardigan works better with these pants:

What do you think of my personal interpretation of the two catalog looks? What's your favorite look from the August catalog?
You totally nailed both outfits, I love that Dusty Blossom color, and it looks great with the plaid. I also gravitated towards the bicycle pic, but I can't help it, I'm lusting after those exact jeans and the Heather Cobblestone cashmere!
ReplyDeleteMy current fave catalogue look is the short trench and light neutrals look on page 34. The "Arizona" palette inspired me but I am just not ready for jackets and "olive drab" or boots for a few weeks yet (a mental thing due to delayed summer weather probably.) Ema, thanks for IRL inspiration on the plaid and popover shirt; I agree your combo is a lovely, and IMO more subtle, wearable pairing.
ReplyDeleteThat pg 52 is my favorite and I wish I can get all for this Fall. I love your interpretation with the colors and you look fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI must say that Corrine looks better. I'm actually liking the color palette of the season since I don't do bright colors so well. I love seeing it from the years ago in the old JC but it just doesn't wear well on my Asian skin... ;-)
i love your more "toned down" version of the skirt outfit. the olive is kinda shocking to even consider this time of year. i'm still doing brights and "clear" colours. i am with jcrewphd. i feel more comfortable in muted tones, but seeing a whole catalog's worth was a bit of a downer. i like to mix in some brights for the dreary winter months.
ReplyDeleteI love the popover with dusty skirt--looks great! And you can really pull off this look quite well. Did the popover have a percent off? Or were you lucky enough to find a coupon in your catalog? ;)
ReplyDeleteI like the dusty rose skirt I think better than the catalog color combination. Definitely more versatile. Did you buy the yoga sweater in two colors? The first picture of it looks kind of like a green color..
ReplyDeleteSue(reBloomer), thanks! I must say that if I hadn't the matchstick and the Yoga sweater already I would want them too (I think I am going to watch the cashmere crewneck when it goes on sale)
ReplyDeleteGetFresh, I like that look two but the second part of the Catalog (black/white) was a little bit too neutral for Fall IMO. Thanks, glad that you liked my combo!
jcrewphd, thanks! I love the entire look but I think that I am not ready to step out with a plaid shirt paired with a leopard-print wide belt ;-). I too love muted over bright but judging from the comments on the jca we must be the only ones. I agree that the Corinne looks better (whih could justify my buying the crewneck in the heathered cobblestone at some point).
closet crisis, I am with you and jcrewphd. I do rarely brights in the winter though, they are too...bright?
sweetsy, thanks. No I have been officially dropped off the catalog (I haven't received it in a while). It was a "gift" from my PS, sometimes she gives me some % off.
Andrea, thanks. No, it's the same one, the different light in the pictures makes it look darker in the first pic.
The popover looks really great with the dusty blossom skirt! I too am trying to not buy anything FP. I have a lot of things in my closet that are too similar to the fall collection, so I have yet to buy anything.
ReplyDeletehttp://momoberry88.blogspot.com/
what a great idea, to style from the catalog!! love them both, esp. the second outfit....i may have to try and "copy" this outfit with what i have in my closet, thank you for the inspiration:)
ReplyDeleteMomoberry, the first outfit was a little bit of a test for the popover: I wanted to see if it could really be dressed up IRL (I loved it but feared the grunge effect).
ReplyDeletemrs.anketell, thank you! The second outfit should be easy to copy if you have a light-colored paie of denim.