Monday, July 27, 2009

Jcrew New Arrivals (Part 1): First Impressions and IRL Pics

Today I had some time to waste after lunch so I thought that I would quickly check out the Jcrew new arrivals (I had to take my daughter to a bday party at 4 but since it was pretty far from where we live and she didn't want to nap I figured that we could go earlier in the neighborhood where the party would take place and just stroll around until she would fall asleep. Of course I had a plan in mind because there are two Jcrew stores in the area). Well, actually we ended up getting stuck in the Rockerfeller Center store for more than two hours because by the time I was ready to go to the register it was raining like hell outside so I just got back into the fitting room for another round of try-ons ((my daughter fell asleep between the first and second round of try-ons, she probably decided that it was better to sleep than watch mommy taking pictures in fitting room. In fact she even said "Basta foto" (Enough pictures) before passing out). Not the worst day to be stuck in a Jcrew as the new arrivals were all on the floor, the store was half empty and I virtually tried EVERYTHING that yielded some interest to me.
Please pardon my shoes in the following pics, I realize that thongs are not the best shoes to showcase fall merchandise but that's what I was wearing and it's better than barefoot (I did ask for a pair of flats at some point but I took few pics with the flats and they don't look good, so thongs they are).

My fave from the new catalog (the one item that I immediately felt in love with) was the Ribbon-front top. Believe it or not, at 12:45 pm it was already sold-out in my size (0) at the Madison Avenue Collection store, so I was relieved to see that they had it at Rockerfeller Center. They only had the champagne color and anyway it was the one that I was interested in:



First, there is no side zip and I hadn't realized that it's a V-neck (sort of). Well, that must be because it doesn't look that way on the website. The fit is a little bit odd, I think because the hem it's supposed to hit at the hips (at least if I have to believe the website pics), while it's clearly longer on me (the result is that if your torso is not that long and your hips are slightly wider than they should be the hem is going to get stuck in the hip area and not flow all the way down and it almost does it on me). However it's so Chanel-esque that I decided to forgive its sins (at least for now) and I bought it.

I tried it with the Stretch Twill Minnie Pants in black. These are tough to pull off IMO since they are not a bit forgiving (in fact the opposite of flattering), as you can see in the following pic (I have one that it's even worse), but if you can they could be a nice addition to your wardrobe:



I have to say that I was trying a 0 and I realized only after that the store was also carrying a 00. I tried them quicky in the gray (coal) because they were available on the floor and they looked better but I hadn't the time to try also the black. I might go back and try the 00 in black even if I had the feeling of wearing ski pants.

Next, the Francis cami. I have to say that the Francis delivers its promise. It's very feminine, perfectly executed and the fit was great (ie, you don't need to order a petite if you usually wear a 0). I don't remember seeing all the colors but I was only interested in the deep rose and dark charcoal. Here is the deep rose (that I like more IRL than in the catalog):





They also had a printed version that I believe is retail-only. Very cute and work-appropriate but a little bit springy IMO. Here is a zoom of the print:



I liked the Francis more IRL than on the catalog but I have a deja-vu feeling about it, I don't know if it's because of the Victoria (that, incidentally, I only own in the long-sleeve cotton version) or because of all the ruffles that we have seen everywhere this past season. I have seen those ruffles before!
Anyway, the dark charcoal is my favorite:



I'm wearing it with the new Toothpick ankle cords in dark charcoal. What a great pants! Seriously genious to make a pair of cords that look good with flats, I only wished that they had made it in more colors because the only one that I seem to miss in my "cords collection" is the dark aubergine (which I'm not a big fan of). In store they only had the navy, black, warm maple and dark charcoal. I'm curious to see if the soft ochre resembles more to last year's acorn (that I have) or gold (that I don't have, regretfully). Anyway the dark charcoal is the most likely candidate at this point.

While I was at cords I wanted to try on the vintage matchstick in the new wisteria color and here I had a big suprise: I had to size down to a 25 in the matchstick while I usually wear a 26 (and I'm not at my skinniest at the moment, in fact I gained a couple of pounds in the last two-three weeks). Moreover they are not stretch, while last year's version was, so I should have sized up if any. Initially I kind of refused to try the 25 but when I did, it was clear that it was my size.
Anyway because of the weird sizing, I prefer to wait and see if I'm still a 25 when it's actually time to wear them (one of the problems of buying too early in the season is the risk that what you bought won't fit any longer when in season).

Are you feeling tired? Once more and I'm off.
Here comes the Velvet Eden jacket, a favorite of many (at least a "virtual" favorite). I already knew that it won't fit me right (their jackets never do, there are too high-waisted) and I don't get to wear velvet jackets much (I have a black one from an Italian brand and that's enough) but I wanted to try it anyway out of curiosity. I tried the dark blossom and the harbor gray. First of all let me tell you that the dark blossom is a darker not to say completely different shade than the pink that is showed on the website:




I felt a little bit like one of the Three Musketeers (where did I put my sword?) Anyway, this was the one I look good in, which I hadn't realized when I was trying it. The harbor grey is just horrible on me (here with the vitage matchstick in weathered wisteria in the "wrong" size):



This is definitively a pass for me even on super-sale...

I think it's enough for today, I have other pics (mainly tees) but I'm going to write another post, hopefully tomorrow.
What do you think? Is there any of these new arrivals that you can't wait to try on? Any that you liked in the catalog but like less after seeing these pics?
If you have any question I will be happy to answer if I can!

24 comments:

  1. The ribbon front top is cuter on. You look great in it. No stretch in the matchsticks? Eek. The more I see, the more I remain unexcited about this rollout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ema, the Frances Cami looks so cute on you !
    Did it run true to size ? Or was it 2 sizes bigger like the victoria cami from last season ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the frances cami looked great on you!
    did you try the slub-cotton imperial tee and is it true to size?
    did you see the duchess stone bracelet? is it big?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't too sure about the Frances cami, but now that I saw it worn I could probably get it in dark charcoal as well. The biggest piece on my wishlist now is the Primrose cami :D I did buy the necktie rumpled cardigan, and it's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Francis cami is so pretty. I love the charcoal on you! I tried the matchstick cords yesterday too and I found that they fit strangely, kind of baggy, even after I sized down. I'll also wait until the weather cools down and try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gigi, the toothpick are stretch but not the matchstick (I haven't tried the bootcuts).
    The top is actually called
    (on the ticket) "Farrow bow top". Farrow like Mia?

    missmasala, thank you. It felt TTS, no need to size down IMO. I can't compare with the Victoria cami because I don't have one and I only tried it once but I think it runned bigger

    ina, thank you. Yes I tried and bought it, pics in the next post (runs pretty TTS).
    I see the duchess stone bracelet, it's pretty big.
    I have to say that the jawelry was pretty overwhelming. I think the libretto necklace is a better purchase if you're still undecided.

    Momoberry, I haven't seen the primrose cami yet but I saw the cardigan and I'm not sure that I love the print. I haven't seen the neck-tie terry pullover either but I'm curious about it.

    Katherine, you're right, they are a little big baggy in the leg. However when I sized down, they fitted pretty well in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ema, I love the ribbon-front top but I called to get the measurements in 0 and the CS rep told me it is running big, so I thought I wasn't going to buy it until I saw it on you. Can you elaborate on the fit? Do the armholes stick out on you (the chest measurement is a little big for a normal size 0). Is the chiffon going to be a problem? It looks just lovely on you! TIA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the charcoal Frances cami and that ribbon top. It is also nice to see that the skinny cords look IRL like they do in the catalog. Sometimes you can't tell if they have things pinned in the picture in that catalog to look skinner than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I want the Frances cami!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ema,
    That ribbon top looks great on you! Did you happen to see any corsage tees in small at the Rock store?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thank you so much for your in depth reviews! Very helpful! I have not been too excited about the newest items, and you helped confirm some of those feelings. I do like the bow top, however! Might be tempted on that one! The velvet jacket looks like I wouldn't like it/or it's fit either! Can't wait to see the rest of your photos! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for trying this stuff on--and posting. I love your posts on the new jcrew stuff:) Loving the frances cami, too, in charcoal. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corry, the armholes don't stick out but IT DOES run a little bit big from the chest to the bottom (it stays away from the body). I would say that it could be called "boxy" if it weren't long. Hope it helps a little bit (I'm thinking of a post dedicated to this top with more pics and outfit ideas in a few days if you can wait).
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean when you ask if the chiffon is going to be a problem. You mean laudry-wise? The only thing that I can say about the chiffon is that all along the ribbon there are points where the edge (of the chiffon) is sewn to the center to make the design "rounded". It is like this by fabric (in fact now that the non-crewless SA explained it to me I think that it's the only way to do it) but when I tried it I had the impression at first that the chiffon was ripped off on that particular top (on the one that I bought it was less evident). I will take a pic of the detail so you can see what I mean.
    Sorry fo the long reply!

    Rachel, yes no pinning for the toothpick cords, they are for real!

    Joyce, I predict that the Francis cami is going to sell out quickly, I would order it soon especially if you want one of these two colors.

    Dominique, thanks. I'm sorry I haven't noticed but I saw a lot of them at Time Warner on Sunday (not sure about the sizes though).

    Suzy, thanks, my pleasure!

    mrs.anketell, it's fun for me too (obviously). I'm wondering if the SA suspected something after I spent 2 hours in the fitting room (at least I bought something)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your reviews! I ordered the eden jacket online, it has not arrived yet, but it seems the fit is disappointing. But the cords are a nice surpise!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ema:
    The ribbon front top is cute but looks too boxy on you. I love the ruffle cami, and the toothpick cords. Dying to try them? How did they run...I have the denim that I just LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - thank you for the pics... that ribbon front top looks to be a must-have and also still loving the Frances. That rose color is so pretty. I'm not giving up on the Eden blazer yet - will have to try - looks like it is running big? I think fitted it may have a better look. Thank you for the great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I got my Eden jacket today, and I am undecided. Mine is a p0 (I am normally p0) and runs a little bit big compared to previous years. It is a brownish-pink. I looks better open than buttoned. When buttoned it makes me look square (and I have a small waist). The velvet feels scratchy and thin (not the rich soft velvet of the bella). What to do? sounds like I should return it, right? but I like the color, and the design, though it looks better on the hanger than on me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the frances looks cute on you with the matchsticks! I like the ribbon top too : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pics! I love the frances cami on you, but yeah. I'm passing on the velvet jacket. Too much velvet for me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Elnobe, if it looks better on the hanger than on you, know know what you should do... I think that it's a jacket that overwhelms a little bit petite frames and if you already have the Bella save the money for something that you really like!

    luv fashion, maybe you're right about the ribbon-top but I really LOVE it. The cords are TTS (I've tried my "normal" size 26S), they are just as great as the jeans.

    Sweet Tea, thank you! Let us know what you think of the Eden when you get a chance to try it on, I think that it might look better on you.

    jcbellemarie, yes I like the loo of the cords with the Francis. BTW the dark charchoal is not as dark as in the pics...

    Chloe, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the cords, you're right, it's genius to make a pair you can wear with flats...cords tend to be more relaxed looking, but you can dress them up a bit with some embellished (or just plain) flats and even a textured trouser sock!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your blog! my first time around these parts

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tamstyle, thak you and welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the ribbon front top and the charcoal Frances. Can't believe I haven't had a chance to try any of these on. And I guess I totally missed out on the ribbon front, given how fast it's selling. Well...if it's meant to be, it will be.

    Thanks for all the great info!!

    ReplyDelete