Tuesday, March 13, 2012

JCrew April: A Few Highly Anticipated Lookbook New Arrivals

I hadn't planned to visit JCrew this morning, in fact I had planned to do laundry while my daughter was at school. But I walked by the store on my way to the bank just after dropoff (OK, on my way to cappuccino after the bank) and I saw that they had received the highly anticipated navy/red striped coat that was the only item in the Spring Lookbook I really wanted to see, so I went back at opening time. They had received quite a few new arrivals that aren't on the website yet, including another item that many JCAs had inquired about, so while I was there I tried them on.

First of all, the striped coat is not silk as some drunken PS let some of us know when we inquired to pre-order but 99% wool and 1% elastane. It didn't look as silk at all in the pics and I was disappointed when I heard that. Who needs a silk coat? When I spied it in the window of the Collection store this morning I could immediately tell that it wasn't silk (it isn't shiny at all) and that's why it picked up my interest again. The handfeel is very nice, the weight is good for spring and overall it looks beautiful. However, the fit on me was completely off mainly due to the waist and pockets placement. I don't know if you can tell from these pics but it is VERY highwaisted and the pockets are placed almost under my boobs! Also, it doesn't flatter my figure, probably because of the double-breasted style (which in general is not for me).
This is the 0. At first I thought that I should have tried a 2 instead but then I tried it with less layers and the size was good, just not the fit:


This is the fabric content:

Another item that many JCAs liked in the Lookbook and inquired about was a long silk dress in a navy/red print. It didn't look like it would be very flattering on the hanger, but it was. In fact it was superflattering and slimming. It is 100% silk but completely unlined (however due to the print and colors it isn't sheer or anything). I personally like the feeling of a silk dress/skirt on my skin but I know that for many this will be a deal-breaker, especially at that price ($350). I would recommend this one if you have anywhere to wear it (I don't). This is my regular size 0, fits perfectly and isn't too long (although I am not sure where it is supposed to hit, it is almost floor-length on me and not a midi length). It comes with a belt in the same fabric that gets a bit lost in the pics and button tabs at the shoulders:

The next one is the dress that we have seen in the previews of the April catalog, kindly shared by Slastena. I guess this one comes in two colorways because the one that I tried isn't purple by any stretch of the imagination. It is actually a bit more neon-y orange than in my pics. In any case, It is a tunic stlye with deep V-neck and retails for $150. I didn't take a pic of the content but if I am not wrong it is cotton, lined in cotton. While I was in the fitting room I couldn't really tell what was the print, but now I can see they are big apples. What's with apples this year? This is the 0, fits TTS to a bit small. It was OK, it didn't wow me (plus I tend to stay away from the deep V-necks these days as I hate wearing camis):
I liked much better the mini in the same print. It is textured cotton lined in cotton, very summery. I am trying a 2 and felt like the right size. Unfortunately it is too expensive at $98 IMO but I would like to get it on sale. The sweater is the Twisted stitch sweater in cerise. Loved this sweater and fits TTS (this is a XS). Note that it has slightly puff sleeves but they got them right, they add a feminine touch without being overwhelming:
The last new arrival that I tried on is another version of the Maritime, this time in a colorblocked navy/neon cantaloupe colorway. I start to have Maritime fatigue and this one felt a bit meh but it's probably me and not the dress. This is the XS (it has the "signature" zippers on the sides and the price is consistent with the other versions, $88):
I hope that you enjoyed this "preview". I didn't have the time to try anything else and also my camera's battery was dying so I will probably go back another day if I have time. I also want to apologize for my lack of replies to your comments to my last few posts but I had some Blogger issues on my phone (for some reasons I can't publish comments on a few blogs including mine!) and I haven't been much on the computer. I will try to go back and respond at least to the questions that a few of you had. What do you think of these new arrivals? Is there anything that you are interested in? Where would you wear the silk dress? Please share!

8 comments:

  1. This line had me lol-ing:
    "is not silk as some drunken PS let some of us know when we inquired to pre-order but 99% wool and 1% elastane."

    So true.

    I love this preview...thank you! That striped coat is wonderful, but a bit odd a wool coat at this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fit of the silk dress but I am not crazy about the print. There is a lot of the red/navy prints this year and I never liked it as I prefer tonal prints and this is too much contrast for me.
    I am also not a fan of printed coats because I would tire of them very quickly. I much prefer to add a scarf to neutral coat.
    And the apple dress! I tried it on too and I think many will be disappointed with it when comparing to catalog image. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was the same color dress in the picture, just extremely photoshopped. Not cool. I will have post a review tomorrow or on Thursday, I will link to yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same blogger commenting issues on my phone and computer. I finally had to install a new browser - Chrome - on my computer to be able to comment. Not sure what I can do about my iphone. It used to work fine until they updating blogger a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the great previews! I agree, strange to have a wool coat right now. I think the apple dress/tunic is cute, but would have definitely preferred a different neckline. I think the maritime colorblock dress would have been cuter if the colors were switched around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I am dying for the printed silk dress- so gorgeous. Now, I am pretty sure the other dress in a pic is neon red that you featured. The pics that I got last month showed purple Minnies which turned out to eb ...red IRL, go figure. They mess with the color so much , it ends up being something different altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reviews. I had high hopes for the apple dress, but now that I know they're apples, I'm not so sure. And I really liked the purply-pink color.
    Slastena, there are purple minnies - I have them and so does my b&m. I was hoping for royal blue like the pic, but I'm guessing they were the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that coat, but wool anything around this time of year would not get worn that much.
    Thanks for these reviews! I've been saying to myself I want more prints in my closet, but these latest arrivals just aren't working for me. I do love all of the color though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drunken ps. lol I tried the apple dress on. I like the silhouette, but wasn't totally excited about the coral color. It's a rainy day here and maybe I would feel different if the sun were shining. I love the non-silk coat. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete