Monday, July 25, 2011

First IRL look at the August Catalog New Arrivals

Hello everyone! I am sorry if I disappeared since my last post, I have been busier that I thought I would be last week and didn't get around to post my vacation pictures. I also have a few OOTDs that I wanted to share but this morning I went quickly to the Collection store to get first dibs of the new collection so I am going to post quickly my impressions and a few pics that I took in the fitting rooms (not many as they didn't have that many new arrivals and even fewer I was interested in).

First, I wasn't blown away by what they had. After browsing the new catalog, I thought I would be much more excited by seeing the new arrivals in store. In part that's because for some reasons they received some of the most anticipated items in the most boring colors, like the schoolboy blazer in navy (like we hadn't seen that one before!), the No.2 double-serge wool pencil skirt in heather carbon and the new cafe capris in wool in camel (these were actually on my wishlist in both the camel and the bright blue but they turned out to be a disappointment), not very exciting. Also there was a mix of old summer stuff and new fall items and not a complete overhaul like we usually see with the first Fall collection. They expect to receive more stuff tomorrow, so hopefully I will have more to share.

In any case I got to try on the new cashmere cable sweater (that they had for some time but with the temperatures nearing 100 in the last weeks I really couldn't be bothered with trying any cashmere), the new cafe capris and the leopard pencil skirt, so I thought I would start to share these few pics with you.

The New cafe capris in wool were a big disappointment. The wool is thin and very scratchy and absolutely not worth $118. I have the Lollis from the past holiday season and I was hoping that these would be made in the same, soft wool, but they are not even comparable. If you have the slightest sensitiveness in your legs, stay away from these. Also, in the camel color they look quite ordinary to me, not something to spend $118 on. Anyway, this is the 0, fits TTS:


The sweater is the absolutely divine Cashmere cable sweater in the store-only or (gasp! Could it be?) already sold-out heather caramel color. This sweater is cut very short (not cropped but shorter than usual) so if you want it to sit lower you might want to size up (I personally like it like this). The cashmere is of the softest quality, the only thing to know is that the sleeves are 3/4 or bracelet, which can be annoying for a thick cashmere sweater, especially a crewneck. But other than that I highly recommend it if you are tempted to splurge (I probably will).
I also tried the heather camel color (which is probably my first choice as I have another one in the heather caramel color) and paired it with the
N.2 Pencil Skirt in Leopard:

This one surprised me, I liked it much better IRL than online. The color and texture are a little bit washed out, which makes it more weareable. It is unlined as it is a cotton pencil skirt; however it can be worn through Fall but will probably ride up with tights. The texture is of the quality that shows bumps and lumps though, so be advised. Also, it is VERY long (past my knee in the 0) and if you are a petite, definitively order a petite size. This is the 0:



As I said before, I have also seen the No.2 Pencil Skirt in Duble-Serge Wool in heather carbon and even if I didn't feel like trying it on, I confirm that it's fully lined.
Also seen (but not tried on), the Perfect shirt in leopard (I looked up the fabric content and it's 100% cotton, which makes it less soft to the touch than the perfect shirts in the silk/cotton blend), the Leopard Tippy sweater (I really liked it but I don't wear popovers that much and I am not sure that I can pull it off. The XS looked big) and the Encore Trench (this has never been on my wishlist but the color is nothing like the brownish color of the website pics: it's much more of a classic khaki trench color).

That's all for today, I will probably go back tomorrow to see what they got tonight. Any questions, let me know.
Is there anything that are wishlisting or getting from the August Catalog?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews.

    I'm considering a couple of the silk blouses, the Lucinda and the sleeveless Elodie. I'm still contemplating the Blythe in the beechwood color. Maybe the cord pencil skirt in the green color.

    I also really like the Crystal Bar and Deco pin necklaces. Not that I need any more necklaces.

    Looking forward to your next batch of reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the reviews, ema! i'm generally not a leopard/animal print fan, but that skirt paired w/the cable sweater looked fantastic on you! i likely will pass up the skirt, but eyeing the cable sweater!

    did they have the leopard calf hair jacket? dont' think i would ever go for that, but curious as to what it looks like IRL!

    i was at the collection/wedding store last wednesday for the secret sale..thought maybe i'd bump into you! did you pick anything up during it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. maryeb, I am considering the Lucinda too, it looks so feminine. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

    stef, I didn't go to that sale (I was getting ready for my trip to the Caribbean the day after). The cable sweater also looked great with the new leopard print scarf, if you want just a touch of leopard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stef, Iforgot to mention that they didn't have the calh hair jacket but they will probably get it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the lighter color camel/tan on you. Good reviews. Followed you in tortoise land again. Got the Factory cuff to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you try on the shirt in leopard?

    going to the mall today wondering if my store has it.....but dont want to buy now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gigi, I should receive mine tomorrow. It looked really nice on the website pic, hope it doesn't disappoint IRL.

    isabella, I haven't tried it but it looks nice, maybe later today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well I ordered the Leopard shirt, breaking my full price rule, because the SA told me its going fast only 4 only the floor, she let me try one on that was being held, the hold closet was full of them! and they just arrived at this store. she is shipping one to the 5th ave store,
    so red phone order of 2, size 0 and 2 will return which ever doesn't work, if you want this one I wouldnt wait.

    there is also some really nice animal print stuff at Talbots

    ReplyDelete
  9. isabella, thanks for the info. I think I am going to pass, it is too much leopard for me ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ema, nice review! I like small doses of leopard and ordered the leopard calf hair watch strap...did you happen to see it in the store? I know it is tiny so even if they had it it would be easy to miss unless you specifically looked for it. I am just curious what the quality is like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the heather camel color too, Ema--it looks very nice on you. I am not a "multiples" person but it is tempting to pick this one up on top of the blue. Someone on JCA said today that she thinks the sweater will pill. We'll see. I also heard from the manager in Boston that another manager (who's been at JC for a long time) said the cashmere quality in the sweater is the best she's seen in years. (Don't know if I mentioned this already). I'm hoping that will be the case. I think it is a very cute fit, and it is a great feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beyondtheblue, I am sorry, I haven't seen the leopard calh hair strap, as you said I wsn't looking for it (I don't even wear a watch). I hope that it doesn't disappoint you.

    Amy, yes, it is a great feeling, one of those sweaters that you want to put against your cheek just to enjoy the softness. Hard to buy multiples though, due to the price tag (would pay to know which colors will sell out and which we will be able to pick up on sale)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sweater and all the leopard goodness.

    ReplyDelete