Hello everybody! I wanted to post a few of my 4th of July sales picks before the end of the weekend. Great sales everywhere coupled with my birthday coming up (next week) generally mean that I go a little bit crazy at this time of the year and this year is no exception ;-).
I will start with my sale pick at Boden. I am not a Boden babe but there is an items that I have been eyeing all the season and wanted to try once it hit sale. It's the Fringed Tweed Jacket. I am crazy about tweed and this jacket looked great on Tabitha, who reviewed it in this post. It also didn't seem to sell very well, so I was sure that it would get marked down big time and in fact it went straight from 188 to $74. I ordered it in the blue and cream colorway in a size 4 (the reviews recommended to size up and I am usually a 2 in blazers).
Right out the box I knew that I would keep the blue one, the colors are just stunning IRL (the pics don't do it justice and there are subtle metallic threads that doesn't come up in the pics) and it reminds me very much of a Chanel jacket worn by Blake Lively in a recent issue of the French Vogue:
It is lined in blue cotton (sleeves are acetate) with a pink piping:
Size-wise I could have gone with a 2 probably, it is a little bit roomy in the chest/shoulders but I think I will keep this one (the shipping/returns are not free during the Boden sale and I am not sure that I want to spend another $10 in shipping only to find out that the 2 is too snug) as I will probably wear it with a sweater. I tried it very quickly with a pair of jeans, so this is not an "outfit":
This is the cream in case some of you are interested:
I have also shopped the red hanger sale at Talbots and ordered the Patent leather pointy-toe pump in the cameo rose color, which are a dead ringer for the popular Jcrew perfect patent pumps in dusty rose, but with a higher heel. I have only a pair of classic pumps, in black patent, and I have been looking for a light colored pair. I had already ordered them in my regular size a while ago, when the price dropped below $100, but I found them to run a bit big (there was a little bit of room between my ankle and the heel), so I took advantage of the new markdown and free shipping to reorder them in a narrow fit and also half a size smaller. I had a real hard time but I ended up keeping my regular size in the narrow fit. Here I am trying them with a little Theory strapless dress that I plan to wear to a "fireworks party" tomorrow (but I will probably wear flats as there is a little bit of walking involved):
I really reccomend these for the current price ($44) if you can still find your size (free shipping is automatically applied to $100 orders until tomorrow), they look more expensive than they are and as far as I can tell tehy are comfortable (for a pair of pointy-toe shoes). At first I was a little bit thrown off by the high heel, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
I also bought in store a pair of their Signature Fit Garment-Dyed Capris in the cafe au lait color. I was looking for a pair of pants in this color, which reads like a light cream and couldn't find anything similar at Jcrew (the closest to this color is the natural of the Oxford scout chinos but I don't like the fit). These are very soft and comfortable to wear (the fabric is very similar to the Oxford cotton) and I like the hardware. I am wearing a size 2 regular (that "just" fits) with the Calypso tied-dyed sweater:
I have more sale picks from JCrew but my time is up and I will post them in another occasion. If I don't come back before Tuesday, have a great 4th of July all!
Are you shopping the sales this 4th of July weekend?











hi ema,have a great 4th of july!
ReplyDeletei just received two popback,which i got the sizes on your recommendation and review and both of them are spo on,so thank you!
i received the vintage bateau tee and the stripe pocket cardigan and love the both.
love the blue jacket on you,it is definitly your color.
Hi, Ema. What great reviews! :)
ReplyDeleteDo you mind if I include your review in my next Boden review roundup (Wednesday this week)? I think the info you have given is really useful.
I think I missed your bday this year, so just in case, Happy Belated Birthday!
Ema the blue tweed jacket is wonderful, and I love it just with the jeans. Happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteLove the blue jacket, and that calypso sweater.
ReplyDeleteNo shopping for me. I wanted to get a pair of those capris as well (I reviewed them a while ago on my blog), but they all seem to have disappeared form the store. I may get them online if I still can't find any in the US stores next week.
Happy 4th!
The blue jacket is perfect on you. Great review of the pumps. The color is really pretty.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reviewing the pumps - I have had them in my cart for months and finally ordered them in the narrow with the free shipping no min. They look great on you!
ReplyDeleteEma-
ReplyDeleteI just got my tweed jacket from Boden in the cream colorway- very pretty! My question is this: are you going to cut the stitching that holds the pockets closed and actually use the pockets? I hesitate to do this because it can add bulk.
Thanks- and happy birthday!
Carol
ina, I am happy that you are happy with your purchases. Don't hesitate to ask, if I can I will help (BTW, I just got the wide resin bangle in maraschino cherry and I love it, it is a red with a hint of pink)
ReplyDeletedinagideon, thanks for the pre-birthday wishes ;-). Sorry for the late reply on the Boden review (I saw that you included it in this week roundup). Of course I don't mind!
Sue, thank you.
Rose, I remember your review. I got them in store because I couldn't find them anymore online, but they did popback. Good luck!
GigiofCa, thanks. Yes, the color is great.
jcbellemarie, glad that I helped! They are great, especially if you are used to pumps.
Carol, congratulations on getting the jacket. I almost never open the pockets but more out of lazyness than real thinking. I do not think that it add bulk though.
I am loving your pumps! I've been searching for reviews on the Talbots pointy pumps, and yours popped up. I'm torn between ordering size 5.5 or 6 in medium width, since I heard Talbot shoes tend to run big. I normally fit all size 6 shoes, and rarely size down half a size. Do you think I'll be safe to order my true size on these?
ReplyDeleteOlyvia, I think you should size down, I am a real 7 and my foot was falling off in the 7M, especially with stockings. Can you order both sizes and keep the one that fits you better, like I did? Hope it helps!
ReplyDelete