Monday, November 7, 2011

JCrew Product Review: The Stadium-Cloth Elements Coat

So because the clock is ticking and maybe some of you are considering a coat with the 25% off STAYWARM (how appropriate) promo, I wanted to quickly post a few pics and facts about the Stadium-Cloth Elements Coat that I ordered during the previous 25% off promo.

The major appeal of this coat to me was the color, as I really wanted a navy coat to replace a puffer that I lost during a vacation two years ago (I already told this but I am actually one of those people who FORGET THEIR COAT ON A PLANE. Enough said).
The Elements coat made its first appearance in Crewland last year and I immediately liked it but didn't need a coat in any of the colors it came in, so I was super-excited to see that it was back this year and offered in navy. And seriously, how could I resist after seeing this pic with the maraschino cherry capris (as you know I have the caffe trousers in the same color)?


I hadn't seen or tried on this year's version before ordering it so I went with my usual coats and jackets size, a 2 (I can get away with a 0 but I am more comfortable with a 2) hoping for no vanity sizing on this one. It is also my first stadium-cloth coat and this was an other important factor in my decision to order it, as the NY winter can be very cold and the stadium-cloth is advertised as their warmest coat fabric.
When it arrived I was immediately smitten. First, the color is to die for. It is a real, beautiful navy and not that navy so dark that can be mistaken for black. The fabric is very soft and bears the "Stadium-Cloth by Nello Gori" tag with a 79% wool and 21% nylon content. The lining is 100% acetate and I was relieved when I saw that it wasn't lined in fleece as a commenter reported on the JCA (as I hate fleece linings).
The fit is spot-on: it is actually slimmer than I expected and you can play with the internal drawstring and make it more defined at the waist. Now, if you are expecting an elegant coat to wear with dresses you will be disappointed, this is the JCrew version of the classic duffle-coat and it is definitively sportsy (even if it looks pretty good with a pencil skirt I must say). You will also be disappointed if you are expecting some surprise features, like a piping or lining in a different color. I personally don't mind, especially in a coat like this.
I tested it against the elements two weeks ago, when it turned suddenly very cold (in fact it snowed the day after I took these pics). I know that there are colder days ahead but as far as I can tell the coat passed the test, as it kept me warm all day and stopped the wind completely without being bulky or stiff.

And now a few pics. The coat looks good both left open and closed. If you are in a hurry you can just zip it up with the zipper and it will keep you warm, but to look "polished" you will need to pass each button in its loop, which can take an additional minute or two (I am saying this just in case you haven't thought about it and you find the whole idea too time-consuming):


The zip goes all the way up along the neckline, which is good to keep you toasty:


But of course you can let it half-zipped:

As you could see, I rolled the sleeves as they are a little bit long on me, but I wouldn't size down for that. If they really bother me I will have them hemmed. This is how they look not rolled:


And this is the drawstring:


I can't think of anything else to make your decision easier but if you have any questions let me know.

Do you have or are you considering the Elements coat this winter?

9 comments:

  1. Ema - this is a beautiful coat and looks wonderful on you!

    Was thinking of you yesterday - my local Joe Fresh just put out two knit sweater-style skirts, one black, one cream, that look exactly like an aran popcorn sweater pattern. Absolutely gorgeous - pockets, lined, etc. Here it was $39 CDN - likely less for you folks in NYC. They were flying off the shelves here and thought you might like to know, as they would look super cute with much of what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ema, I have that coat and love it. I also have the navy but from last year, so it's a darker blue, I think. Anyway, it's my favorite J Crew coat (and I have many) because it's warm and casual but you CAN wear it with skirts and look dressier. I am thinking of getting the bright blue with this promo, but I got the Majesty in purple with the last promo and find the color too bright. Now I am not so sure about bright color coats...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ema I was thinking about this coat and now I've bitten. I bought the Stadium Cloth last year in the fatigue color and in a size 0 and it was really too small for me so I sold it. So now I had an empty place in my coat closet and I have been thinking too that I would love a navy coat! So this coat really seems to fit the bill.
    I was torn b/w this and the toggle coat with thinsulate, but that coat doesn't come in navy and I was worried I'd get sick of the rope and wooden fasteners. So anyway you helped me make my decision thank you!
    Oh and I ordered a 4 after seeing that you took a size 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you love your coat, the stadium cloth really is warm. I have my eye on this coat too but it's one of several on a list so not sure it will make the cut as I have a few casual coats. This one would stand the test of time though, especially in navy. Thanks for sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ema, thanks for this detailed review. The coat looks great on you, and I agree, the navy colour is really good. I would love to have this coat but I am so shopped out from the last two rounds of promos, plus I need to get rid of some coats before bringing in any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I feel really good about deciding to pull the trigger on this one in the nordic blue in a size 4. :)

    I am now waiting for it (tomorrow, they say), and will do a review when I get a chance.

    I love this for you, perfect for your on the go lifestyle.

    (But how to remember it on the plane, lol? That made me smile!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ema, Thank you so much for the review of this coat! You are right on about the fit and I was successful in ordering a size 4 rather than a 6. I usually go to a 6 due to tight shoulders but 4 is perfect. Also, this coat looks great on you and this helped in my decision to order it (because I didn't need it but it's one of those wardrobe staples I'll have until it falls apart). Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I fell in love with this coat but missed the boat last year (and prefer the 2011 version over this year's duffle coat). If you've found you no longer have a need for it, I would love to buy it from you!
    ~ Kat
    KLand07@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are your measurements? I'm looking to buy this coat, and I'm trying to decide between a 0 and a 2. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete