First up is the Stadium-cloth Mod coat. My store only had the yellow, so that's what I tried. I tried my regular coat size, which is a 2, and I was swimming in it. Granted, I was wearing something thin under it but it did feel too big, especially in the shoulders, which is where I usually need the 2. The sleeves were also on the long side:
I also didn't like the plain brass buttons but then I would have probably complained if they were too shiny. On the positive side the stadium-cloth felt very plush. The lining is poly tipped in black (yes, I remembered to take a pic of the fabric tag!):
Bottom-line it is a nice coat if you like the style. I liked the color, it is a warm yellow, not mustard-y nor neon-y or too bright, but I felt like a bumble-bee in it, probably because it was too big. I would order the smaller of your JCrew jacket sizes or even size one down but do not size up as we tend to do with coats to allow for layering.
The next one is the tipped peacoat. I liked the look of this one online but I didn't like it on. However, I must say am not a peacoat type of girl, whatever that means. I don't own any peacoat even if I owned a Zara when I lived in Paris that I wore a lot (very similar to this one except for the tipping). I probably associate peacoats with a part of my life that is buried and I don't want to unbury. That's only to say that I am negatively biased.
Again, this is the 2. I found the fabric too stiff around the arms and shoulders but this seems to be the trademark of peacoats (I forgot to take a pic of the fabric content and now I regret since the description on the website says something like "special fabric" without providing any detail. Can a retailer be any more cryptic than JCrew when it comes to product specs? Come on, it's not Coca Cola!)
Anyway, biased or not, I don't think it was particularly flattering, it added bulk to my frame:
Sleeve-length was good on this one and the length too if you like short coats. I personally prefer longer coats and if I had to buy a peacot I would probably go with the Majesty one.
Last, I wanted to try the Excursion vest in herringbone. I wasn't interested in this vest until everybody started to talk about it. Drinking Crewlade in full force here. I asked for a XS and a XXS to compare since I had read that it runs big but my store only had the XS, so that's what I tried:
The SA was trying to convince me that it was my size but I would have preferred it to be slimmer around the waist. Again, I was wearing a thin shirtdress in the fitting room but I think there was room to spare and I would have liked to compare with a XXS. By the way the (male) SA was the same who got me out of the double-serge mini skirt back in the summer (you know, the one who cut the zipper in the back and had a glimpse of my underwear) and we both had a laugh about it (but I still hope he's gay).
I took this one to the register thinking that I would get it and maybe order the XXS online but then went to peruse the sale section and spent all the allotted budget on something else that I will share in another post. I had a return with me that covered the sale purchase and I didn't want to cash out more money so I left the vest. I might order the XXS online but I am more of an impulsive store buyer than an online buyer so I think I will resist. We don't have a long vest season here in NYC but it is also true that I don't have a vest that I am excited to wear and this one seems to pair well with what I have. Will see!
Are you taking advantage of the outwear promo? Have you ordered or are you interested in any of these picks? Please share!






Hi Ema,thanks for your reviews!
ReplyDeleteWould you take the regular 2 in the majesty peacoat or the petite 2?
I think i am pretty much the same size as you,so it helps a lot.
TIA
ina, I never tried petite sizes in coats so I cannot compare. I tried the Majesty last year and it fit perfectly size-wise and length-wise, only the sleeves were a bit long if I remember correctly. With a petite I would be afraid that the waist would hit me in the wrong place but then agaon I never tried. Hope it helps a bit!
DeleteI think wr are about same size and def recommend xxs. I ordered it during their 25% off vest sale and love it. U should get it, it looks great on you!
ReplyDeleteEma, I love the color of the mod coat even though bzzzzz you felt like a bumblebee. As I said on my blog, hope you fell asleep because how could you resist the excursion quilted? You look so good in it. I didn't even think of it w/a skirt.
ReplyDeleteI did fall asleep and missed on the double promo but it is probably for the best because it was already too cold here today to wear it. Maybe I will catch it on sale for next year!
DeleteOT Emma...but I noticed this morning that there is a leopard tippi in XS for sale on the JCA exchange. I remember from your post last week that you were looking for one.
ReplyDeleteLisa, thank you so much for letting me know, it's on its way to me!
Delete