Saturday, October 22, 2011

OOTD (Let's Go Party!) And Boden Cashmere Cropped Cardigan Review

So yesterday night we had this big party to attend and I wasn't in the mood at all. I decided what I was going to wear at the last minute (which never happens, normally if I have a party to go to I start to think about the outfit very early, even if as a last-minute person I typically change something before leaving).
Anyway, because the venue is one of the most beautiful party venue in the city and the dress code said "dress to your best", which was a big vague, I decided that you can never go wrong with black in NYC and pulled out a JCrew party dress that I had bought a long time ago at a sample sale and was waiting for an occasion to be worn. I kept the accessories to a minimum, I was feeling "less is more":


I bought that little minaudiere in Italy last summer (with the matching flat sandals), it is by Max Mara and it is a re-edition of an original design from the 60s. The best part is that it has a chain (that can be hidden inside) so when you want to have your hands free you can wear it across the body.

Because I had been sick all the week I didn't want to risk to catch a cold again, so I topped the dress with the Boden cashmere cropped cardigan. I had been eyeing this cardigan since it came out and finally pulled the trigger when I saw that the quantities were getting low and a 20% off came around. It was waitlisted until December but I received it last week. I have to say that when I opened the package I was a little bit underwhelmed: with all the favorable reviews of Boden cashmere (compared to JCrew) I was expecting something more. I might be partial to the JCrew cashmere but I found it a little bit scratchy and I didn't like the buttons at all, so I put it in the "return pile" without really trying it on with a dress.
Yesterday night I ended up wearing it a little bit out of desperation, since I don't have any other "little black cardi" (I have a love/hate relationship with black sweaters) and in the end I really liked it. It hits at the perfect spot and I noticed for the first time the velvet trim on the button placket. I still dislike the buttons, so I think that I am going to invest and exchange them with some more "dressy".
This is the US size 2 (the smallest), which fits me perfectly:


I might buy more colors if this ever hits the sale section. By the way, today's "Catch of the Day" is sweaters but unfortunately this one is an exclusion (however, the more pricey Embellished cashmere cardigan, which is not cropped, is part of the promo)

Now, let me tell you something: you can never be overdressed at a party in NYC. I saw some spectacular dresses yesterday nigh, even if the predominant color was black with some all-gold sequin numbers and two or three red dresses (really over the top).

OK, have a nice weekend. After being waken up at 5 by my daughter I came back to bed around 7 and slept until 10.30 this morning. Yay!

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog. Your reviews are always spot on and very helpful with details that other reviews might skip over. I am wondering about the sizing of Boden to J.Crew--how does the size 2 compare to, say, a J.Crew cardi in size XXS or XS? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ema your dress is perfect---understated and so elegant. I love the review of the Boden sweater, I've been wondering about them, and after seeing it on you I think the shape is much nicer than the boxier J Crew version. I really like the black on black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You looked beautiful!!! Black never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look beautiful!! That Max Mara clutch is so elegant. I'm glad you posted about the Boden cashmere cropped cardigan, because I have been debating whether or not to order it. Despite having a billion cardigans, I don't have a single cropped one, and I realized I do need one to wear over party dresses for the upcoming holiday season. Is the cashmere noticeably scratchier compared to J. Crew cashmere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous! once that sweater hits the sale section, i'm buying one (or two)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, I love the simple black dress. I also love the pumps you are wearing in both this ensemble and your silk skirt. Who makes them? I am coveting the Valentina pumps and am looking for affordable versions. :>

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, thank you. I don't have any other Boden sweater so I can only speak for this one. The 2 compares to a XS in JCrew, with the difference that the sleeves are roomier. Definitively NOT a XXS. I hesitated between the 2 and the 4 but the 4 would have been too big.

    Sue, thanks. I agree that the shape of this cardigan is really nice but it is a dress cardigan (too cropped to wear with pants or even pencil skirts unless you are going for the Mad Men look).

    Thank you Gigi! Yes, and especially in NYC where 90% of the people always show up in black.

    Louise, if you need a cardigan to wear over party dresses I really recommend this one, it is perfect for that. Again, I would have preferred the buttons to be black as well, which would have made it more elegant but it is not a big deal as I can always replace them later. The cashmere is more scratchy than I was expecting from the reviews but it could be the color (as a matter of fact I returned a JCrew cashmere black open cardigan last year because it really didn't feel like cashmere on the skin; however all the Jcrew crewnecks in comparable ply that I have are softer. Who knows!) I would say that it is worth the promotion price, but I wouldn't pay more.

    suburban mom, thanks and thank you for stopping by!

    pathos, the black pumps are (old) Miu Miu (splurge of a few years ago, even if I got them for a very good price at a Saks sale) and they are probably the best pumps that I own, they look great with pretty much anything. However, the blush ones that I was wearing with the liquid silk skirt are Talbots and I got them for $24 this summer (when they had a crazy sale). If you happen to bea 9 1/2 there is one pair right now in the clearance section of the website even if the price went up. I really love the Valentina and I will probably get a pair on sale but if you are looking for an evening pair, I would go with patent. Talbots has a great selection of classic pumps for a decent price, like this one (there is only one size right now but they usually pop back). HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look so perfectly elegant. I hope you had a wonderful time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress and cardi on you.

    I have the Boden gorgeous cashmere cardis in several colors and they are all perfect and soft. And they are most definitely cropped and wonderful with dresses and full skirts.

    ReplyDelete